Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Linda McCandless Danskin Report

What an amazing event the Danskin race is; purely in numbers and courage! It is so AWESOME to see so many women out there giving it their ALL. The broad range of athletes was more than awesome, it was amazing. I found myself throughout the race whooping it up and cheering on anyone I passed or was passed by. The sheer numbers from RTB was fantastic. Being a newbie to RTB, I really felt like I was part of a GREAT TEAM!

My story is pretty simple. I have been an athlete all my life, but my love (passion) was soccer. Unfortunately or fortunately, I had a back injury which led to having a numb right foot and calf (what do you do with that? No time to fill sorry for yourself). So, the soccer game had to be sidelined and replace with something else. Along with the replacement factor, I turned “40”. Motivation set my sights on doing a Triathlon. My first was to be the Danskin this year. But, by June I felt I could do one. So, I did the Blue Lake Triathlon on June 9th. My swimming was pretty close to a disaster, but I did make it out of the water on my own, and finished the race with acceptable numbers due to my bike and run (setting the bar for myself). I had to find someone to train with! My search led me to RTB. I thought I should do another TRI before Danskin. So, I did the “Work It Out” Tri on July 21st. Again, the swimming was discouraging (my face did not like the look of the bottom or lack there of, in the lake). It was back to the pool and many lakes for me: I found helpful tips and encouragement from Sharon Wright, and others on the RTB Team. Also, the Wednesday night workouts were a huge benefit. All of this brought me to the shores of Lake Washington on August 19th. I found myself filled with butterflies and complete apprehension. I had to conquer this swim and have FUN doing it! I was fortunate to pal up with Sharon until her start, just before mine. I lined up in the far front right. I told myself to stay to the side and one two three breath, one two three breath. I was the HAPPIEST woman on the planet coming out of the water (my husband told me later he new I had ‘nailed it’ by the look on my face. Swim in at 14:27. I was on cloud nine the rest of the race!!!!!!! I had a great time and enjoy every minute: I finished in 1:22:01 . This is the beginning of many races to come…..

THANKS,
Linda McCandless

No comments: