Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Angela Meek's DAMPskin (I mean Danskin) Triathlon Report


Yesterday is a triathlon to remember for sure. Someone said that maybe God was just mad because 5100 women and their families were skipping church so he decided to flood the earth again. Needless to say – not the weather anyone had expected for August. This is my fifth one this season (3 sprints and two mini’s) and the worst weather yet!

Up at 3:30am, left the house by 4:15 and arrived at 5:10 to catch the first shuttle to the park. It was a strange feeling to arrive at the park and have it be so dark and wet. We got there checked our bikes and set up our transitions zones with multiple garbage bags to try to keep things dry – I had so carefully covered my bike seat the day before to make sure it was dry – so lets just say I am not sure the purpose of that since nothing else was dry and I would be getting out of the water and jumping on it wet.

Once everything was ready, I did a short warm up run and then got into my wetsuit early because I was too cold.

Down to the Water to watch the start and wait for my wave #12 start. I have to say I really hate this part. Finally it was our turn we are told to enter the water and given a high five by Sally Edwards. We were standing in the water and Sally was doing her PUMP UP speech and then finally the count down. We are off. 100 people kicking and hitting you – so much fun!! This was the most crowded swim I had ever done - we quickly caught up with people from the wave before and I swear there was a convention going on at both buoy's (people just floating and talking (did they forget this is a race??) It was crazy crowded and I was bumping into people most of the time. I still need to learn to just go and not try to swim around people and be polite, in practicing my assertive swimming I even swam through an angel (that’s a person in the water with a noodle that helps people who need help) and the person she was helping – they were taking up so much room I just had too – I hope she made it!!!

Out of the water and ran to the bike. I heard my family and bunch of other people yelling for me – that is always great. My towel was wet so I did not even bother to dry off – on with the socks right over the wet feet with grass and then through on the bike shoes and off to the bike start. I took over 2 min off my Transition 1 zone this year. On the bike – which again was say crowded this year. Slow start with about 20 people jamming the road – so I started with the ON THE LEFT yelling and finally got going. Then I hit the little hill. Last year there were 6 people on the hill – this year there was at least 20 – the walkers stayed to the right and those who rode to the left. The problem was that some riders would give up and get off – luckily they all moved over quickly and all of us riding kept yelling at everyone (keep going) (when you clipped in and someone stops in front of you – you fall down – which happed to two of my friends – however they did look cool crossing the finish line with blood dripping) Made it up the hill and onto I-90, it was still raining and I was pushing it hard until I hit an expansion joint at 27 MPH and my wheel slid – that freaked me out and I slowed a bit after that – the turn around was slow there was a big line up so I tried to cut in and do a sharp turn I still had to wait but I saved a little bit of time. Back up the hill, through the tunnel and then when exiting the tunnel there as a huge side wind that freaked me out. I just kept telling myself – don’t slow, keep it straight and tuck low. So glad to off the bridge but then there was a big line up at the dumb little hill – they had everyone stopped and were making everyone walk down – that was irritating and it was so crowded that it took forever to walk down. Finally back on the bike – that cost me a lot of time. I was back on and flying. Some lady was right beside me and then she started talking to me, saying come on Spencer butt lets go (Spencer chiropractic is on our shorts). She kept saying don’t let me pass you – so I kicked it up and stayed ahead and listened to her say all that for the next two miles (she was drafting me) then finally I said you go girl and then I followed her in. With all the weather stuff and the crowd and being made to walk the hill my time was slower than last year by about 3 min so I know if it had been the same as last year I would have beat my time for sure. I loved the bike – it just flies by in time and it is so much fun. Next transition zone – again loved seeing my family there. Change of shoes and throw on the hat and number. (I beat my transition time form last J) Suck down a Gel and off on the run – It always feels weird to run after the bike. Now it is pouring! I wore my shoe laces that don’t need to be tied and I have a bone spur on top of my foot that was causing me problems and pain was shooting up my shins. I altered walking and running. At this point I know it is almost over – so just try to ignore the pain. My favorite part of the run is the bongo drums on the hill (it means less than a mile to go and it is just fun to have a cool beat to listen to as you go up the hill). Soaking wet I ran into the final path and saw the finish line and my family was there (YEAH !!!). My run was faster than last year even with the shin pain. Crossing the finish line is always amazing. I finished a bit above mid pack and it was a lot of fun.

It was wet and it was crowded but it also was a lot of fun. I loved seeing all the RTB people and hearing go RAISE THE BAR through out the race. 51 of our team were there. What a cool group of people and Patty kept popping up everyone yelling encouragement. I love our team. I think my favorite part of the day was seeing Teresa and Tina cross the finish line. YOU DID IT and did it well.

Everything was not perfect for sure as far as a race for time is concerned, but it was a perfect day to remember why I do this. It is not all about numbers (don’t get me wrong I love seeing those get faster). To me the purpose is having a great way to stay healthy – sure there are lots of options but I don’t think any of them compare with the fun of triathlons and running events and when you know you are getting stronger and healthier and you are doing it with such an amazing group of people cheering you on – what more could you ask for. Thanks so much to my family for letting me do this and cheering me on, to Shaun who trains with me and keeps me going, to the RTH gang who I absolutely love to be around, to the RTB group and to Patty for all you have done to bring this together. 3 years ago this month I was 345lbs and not healthy, now I am an athlete. Who would of thought???????

Next Race – BLACK DIAMOND OLYMPIC at the end of SEPTEMBER.

1 comment:

The Young Family said...

Angela - Awesome job my friend! You did great! Thanks for keeping up the support for your "slow" friend! I had a great time it was fun to see you and Jodi and Shaun and everyone from RTB!!