Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Jenn Geise's Danskin Report


It's now 2 days after Danskin and I have finally warmed up and stopped shivering uncontrollably. Let me just say that I was pretty stressed going into this race weekend. We had the expo to attend and had to rack our bikes the day before. I've never had to go through that kind of "process" for any other race, especially not the one other triathlon that I did last year. I was a nervous wreck. But, with my husband, Clint, continually calming me down and driving me to the race Sunday morning, I got there in high spirits and ready to roll. We took the shuttle to the race and walked to the transition area. I got there early enough on Saturday to get a spot close to the fence so that Clint could see me during transition time. That plan worked out well because I was taking too much time setting up my transition area when I saw him motioning for me to hurry. I went to look at the time and realized that I forgot my heart rate monitor at home. (That's my lifeline. Don't panic! I tried not to.) I quickly finished, grabbed my wetsuit, goggles, and swim cap and starting running. I got down to the swim start only about 2 waves before mine so I threw on my wetsuit (it slides on really easy now that I've lost some weight) and got ready to go. I felt great going into the water. I ignored what Sally Edwards was saying because I was trying to mentally prepare. The swim is usually my easiest and most enjoyable leg of the race. NOT THE CASE THIS TIME. I've never been in a pack of people that big and the water was so choppy. I could feel the water dumping into my wetsuit through my arms. So much for being easy to put on; I decided at that moment that it is time to get one that fits. I felt like I was a sinking ship going nowhere…I started to panic a bit. I have NEVER considered holding onto a kayak support, but this time I almost did.
THEN, I got a hold of my brain and started talking myself through it.
I did a silly little frog stroke and kick for, um, probably about 2/3 of the swim. I tried a couple times to start swimming again, but I kept sucking in water from the choppy waves. I finally pushed my head in the water and started swimming away as I rounded the last buoy and saw the swim finish. It took me a while, but I got my brain together.
As I was running out, tearing my wetsuit off, I was wondering how long that lovely little swimfest took. About that time, my husband yelled, "Good job, babe. 15 minutes!" What? All that choking and gasping and it only took me 15 minutes??? (Thank goodness Clint remembered his watch) What do you know? I suddenly found the strength to run faster to my bike.
I felt like I got through T1 quickly. (After the race, I found out that was not the case. I neglected to count the amount of time it took me to walk/run from the water to my bike.) I got out onto the
bike course with ease. I felt like a powerhouse. I took everything
I learned at our Wednesday night trainings and my 1:1 session with Brian. (Brian, thank you SO much for the amazing advice!!) I shifted perfectly for the hills. I sat up tall and breathed deeply while I was climbing. I didn't allow myself to fly down the hills because of the rain and the number of people. The rain was unbelievable on the way back. At one point, it was hitting my face so hard, I had to squint my eyes until they were open just enough to see the people in front of me. Not fun. I walked up and down the narrow hill that my RTH team had warned me about. I knew that a bike wreck would make me lose my mojo, so I didn't even risk it. I felt like the bike time flew by.
I got back to transition and felt like I breezed through T2. (Again, not the case when I checked my times later. I've got to work on these
transitions.) I set out on the run with my brand new hat that I got at the expo the day before. I got it because it has vents on the side for "heat". This time, I was just glad it was keeping the rain off my face. As I was heading out, I heard Clint on the sideline, yelling
"49 minutes on the bike. You're doing great!" Wow! That was great.
And I felt great. Last year, I walked the entire run. This year, I RAN the entire run. I even ran up the hill that I was mentally prepared to walk. (You know, the one where the bongo drums were).
When I heard those drums, I started plowing up that hill and down the other side. I slowed down only when I almost tripped when Mike cheered for me. (Note to self: Don't look backward to see who was cheering for you) I knew the finish line was close and I started running. Not just my normal fast jog…I was running, breathing rhythmically like Toby taught us, telling myself how well I did.
Then, I saw the finish line. I'm not sure what hit me, but I got an extra burst of energy and passed about 6 people in the last few hundred feet. It was unbelievable. I'm not sure whose legs I was running on, but I felt lightning fast. How incredible was that feeling? Was that my first "runner's high"? I thought that was just a myth? No, it must be real because I was on high. I crossed that finish line and ran straight into the arms of my husband, who was standing there looking at his watch with a smile on his face.
I'm still on high. I had an amazing time doing Danskin, despite the choppy swim and the pouring rain. My goal was to do it in less than 2 hours. I beat my goal and came in at 01:46:55. Yes, that's 1 hour and
47 minutes. That's a 34 minute improvement from last year. How
perfect is that? It's amazing what losing a few pounds, some wonderful support, and an amazing opportunity with a triathlon team can do.
And now for my thank you speech:
I have to thank Clint for running around in the rain during my race and for always supporting my endeavors (no matter how out of reach they seem). Oh, and for giving me his coat after the race, even though he was just as cold and water-logged as I was.
Patty, you are the sole reason I had the nerve to do my first triathlon last year. Thank you for giving every athlete a chance on Raise the Bar, even if we don't look very promising in the beginning.
Dad, thanks for joining the team, working out with me, and encouraging me all the way. It's so wonderful to finally have a sport that we both like. (I'm pretty sure you realized that I never really liked
basketball) :)
And last but not least, thanks to Raise the Bar and the Hope Heart Institute for putting together the Raise the Hope program. (Patty, Fianna – you rock!) Their intent was for our team to get in shape and inspire other people to do the same. Little did I know that the team would inspire me to do what I hadn't been able to do on my own…believe in myself.

1 comment:

The Young Family said...

Great job! Loved hearing your story!