Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Kelly Richard's Chelanman Race Report

I like to choose races that test me physically and mentally. I know this means my chances of seeing a top 5 in age group placement means I have to work much harder than I would like to. I also like to choose one race a year that is out of town, somewhere different, somewhere where my husband and I can escape and do nothing for 48 hours.

So this year I choose Chelanman. It was the Best for the State of Washington. I have discovered an Olympic distance is what I enjoy the most. With the swim being longer, the bike a challenge and the run is a run. I also thought I love to run in the heat. This would be the perfect race for me.

So once again I set out to follow my 16 week Olympic training plan. It is suppose to be tough enough to get you in shape to place in top 5 age group. Severely disappointed with my first Olympic distance and 6th place age group finisher I wasn't going to give up. I did a practice Olympic distance earlier this year to see how my training was going. (Cascade edge, which I previously wrote about)

To my dismay Chelan was cold. Not just cold. Windy, chilly, a few sprinkles. People were wearing hoods, coats, layers, jeans. After we checked into our B&B I too was now dressed in layers:(
Sat. morning I headed down to watch the sprint swimmers. The water looked fairly calm, the distance seemed long for 800 meters. I wasn't really in the mood so I picked up my packet. Rode back to B&B and set out on my 20 min. ride. I just couldn't get in the groove. Everything felt wrong. I decided not to swim and put my
bike away. Took my shower and headed outside with some reading material to wait for my husband who was on a 40 plus mile ride. We did the lunch thing, drove the coarse and back to the B&B again. I thought I would have a nice ride on Sunday. The view was fabulous. Jerry mentioned I get my bike and we would work on the derailleur again. A never ending battle. More because I am extremely picky. Not that it doesn't work properly. I want it to work better. I want i t to shift when I shift without delay like my mountain bike does. It is a road bike. It should do tricks -
It should be fast - I should not drop a chain going downhill! After polishing my white bike and making some adjustments around the block a few times and my confidence and mood began to change. I was feeling better about the competition the next day. We wasted the rest of the day doing almost nothing. I couldn't believe how tired I was. Not just a physical, but a mental as well. I guess stepping away from house is not just necessary but mandatory once a year.Fast forward to Sunday morning. I wanted to arrive ridiculously early to set up as close to the bike exit as possible. I wanted not to have to run long in my cleats. The morning seemed to drag. I actually had a few moments where I was thinking I wasn't feeling well. Then I came to realize it was butterflies in my stomach. I was officially nervous.

After racking my bike, finishing the body marking and having to write on the best swim cap given out I headed to the water. There had been a lot of buzz about the chop and how to swim through it. The locals claim it is never that choppy and especially in the morning. But the wind was blowing and the clouds were above. The chop was like mini swells. The 1/2 IM swimmers would be up then down. They bobbed along. Soon it was my turn to get into the water. I tried breast stroke a bit to see how to sight.Well to my surprise I went under and back. A small panic attack. Try another approach and no luck. Just deal with it and figure it out as I am swimming. There were no waves. Just a mass start.I was excited to be sandwiched between two guys in the front line. Maybe I could draft! No such luck, they started in a mass sprint only to stop after 100 yards to try and figure out where they were going. Remember the chop. I just kept swallowing. I picked two main swim techniques to focus on and somehow I managed to drag one of those guys 9/10ths of the way around the course. Then I let go of technique and got off course. Now I had to swim into chop. Not good! Going no where fast. At least I dropped the guy who played with my toes for past 20 min. When I breathed I could see him attempt the breast stroke. Not a good idea in choppy water. You turn out to be like a bobbin at the end of a fishing line.Going NO WHERE! Out of water , I looked down at my watch and was surprised by the time. Was faster than I expected. A guy on the beach yelled second women out, a minute behind. I some how got a second wind to get to the transition area. I left off the second layer, left the gloves and socks. I now was on a mission. Bike, helmet, glasses, shoes, out of there in two minutes.

1.4 miles into the ride, just when I thought I was getting comfortable, I opened my mouth for what I thought would be a breath and out came Lake Chelan, a hammer gel and stomach acid. Re-compose myself. 2.4 miles uphill I drop a chain. Re-compose myself. Mile four the smooth road turns into pebble vibration. I realize I have 16 miles of this junk to ride on. I allow myself my small pitty party - tell myself I have allowed my negative feelings to come out now it is time to get down to my goal.

Shortly after the turnaround I hear ambulance and fire truck. I knew there was a crash. Shortly after that I am passed by three men traveling way to close to each other and to me. When the third guy passed me I yelled out that I was on his left side. Soon we came to the hills and it was my turn to start picking them off. As I passed I yelled out "that would be ME, on YOUR LEFT". Please remember to inform riders you are coming. Nothing worse than being startled on skinny little ti res as you are trying to hold still on a tri bike in the wind. Upon coming back into town a very nice officer yelled out "nice job LADY" I was impressed. Being called a lady on a bike! He sounded like he meant it too! Third female into transition and out onto run course.

First step to last step = pain. The never ending run. Every person I passed had no clue how far I had gone or how far left I had to go. After about a mile I got passed by a couple runners. I was dreading every step. very nice person had a school bus for sale on the side of the road. A 1984 bus for 3,000.00. So here we go- preschool song Wheels on the Bus keeps me going for a mile or so. I begin to tire. I spot
a man in his 40's running not far from me. My bus is broke down. Mr. will you tow me? Sure for about a mile. Then the rope begins to fray. I see it unraveling. Snap. Away he goes. But wait you are passing a younger many wearing a white shirt. He has nice rhythm in his feet. We (my bus and I) can follow along. Two more miles pass. Cool- some steps in this run, through the park, oh my stomach hurts. More Lake water going out. I see Jerry- he says something. I must be about a mile away. I keep plugging along behind my leader. No extra gas for the finish line. Just cross it. Finish 2:31.18. Good enough to earn me 5th female overall and 2nd in age group.

We hung around for my little red ribbon. I wonder if a blue one will come my way someday:) Happy with results and oh so tired we head for home. Thankfully Jerry is driving and I am sleeping. Back to our crazy house and life. Stash away some good memories for the tough training
days ahead and smile.

Only bad thing about the trip were the two potty stops. Yuck! There should be more rest stops or even a happy little port a potty. The scary truck stops are not for me.

Faith - makes things possible, not easy..

Kelly

No comments: