Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ken Pinchiff's Apple Capital Race Report

In the sea of Danskin reports there surfaces another race report - from a MAN!!! Yes, it's true, about 1/3 of our team is men, and being the less-verbal gender, we don't hear as much from them. But they are definitely out there!!!

I wasn’t sure how to blog this so figured I would e-mail it to the two of you and if you like you could forward it to the team or add to the Gallery.

The locals told me that it hadn’t rained in Chelan for 2 months. Well just for me and about 200 of my best friends it rained on Sunday for the race. The swim part of this race is always interesting but this year it was especially fun. This race takes place on the Columbia River just out of Chelan. Every year the local PUD has to go through and cut the milfoil down for the swim, but this year it was so thick that the best they could do was cut an 8’ lane through it where it was to thick to swim through. At one point I got off track and found myself in the middle of a milfoil patch trying to fight my way through it and find my way back to the swim lane. Not a swim for those that are easily freaked out by seaweed.

Once on the bike, although wet, things started to improve. It was a nice out and back and then onto the run. The thing I always like about this race it my family goes over with me and we camp for a few days before the race. The race actually goes through the campsite, so Jill and the boys only have to walk about 100 yards to see me swim, bike and run (and take some pictures).

The funny thing is that I spent the last few weeks worrying about the heat in Chelan and it turned out to be wet and cold – sounds a little like Seattle. Nevertheless, I was happy with my overall performance and improved on last year’s time by about 15 minutes (Olympic Distance). As far as I could tell, I was the only RTB racer, but did my best to represent the group.

No comments: