Monday, August 20, 2007

Cathy Christian's Danskin



Although this was my fifth Danskin, it was the best one I have done (actually nothing is ever better than your first Danskin, but this one came pretty close!).

It was the best not because I shaved 28 minutes off my time from last year (23 minutes adjusted for the swim difference) or because the baby powder in my wetsuit worked so well my T1 time was three minutes faster. What made this the best Danskin for me were the Raise The Bar team and the Raise The Hope group.

There is nothing better than hearing team members yell for you as you go through transitions. There is nothing better than feeling supported by a group of very special women with the same goal. There is nothing better than seeing RTB women on the race course and acknowledging each other’s efforts.
That said:
I didn’t want to use the shuttle so I arrived at the race course at 5:06. Parked in a great spot and sat in my car eating a rice and bean burrito. Sounds terrible but it gives me the right amount of energy! Walked to the transition area and paused for a moment to take in all the bikes sitting there – what a magnificent sight!
Set up my transition area. The bikes were so close together I’m glad I taped my bike to the post the day before. Hung with Janet Hominda who was in my age group but going in the wave after me (she passed me on the run!).
Wetsuit on, (powdered liberally), walk to the swim, get ready, and go!
A woman grabbed my ankle during the swim and my timing chip came off. I probably put it on too loose, anyway. I was following Patty S’s advice to cross the mat and then step to the side to take my wetsuit off. As I pulled-pulled-yanked-yanked my suit, the timing guy caught me and told me what to do through all the transitions to make sure I was counted. You could hear me loud and clear the rest of the race - “472 – lost my chip!” – I have a feeling this lost chip is going to cost me $30.00!
There were so many women in the swim – I aim really well and don’t (can’t!) change direction once I know where I’m going, so I swam through and over women; if she was in my way, I didn’t go around her – there was nothing that could deter me from my mission. Rounding the second buoy I ran smack into the kayak’s oar – in my right eye – I told the guy he was in my way and just pushed on! This last week I have been visually preparing (seeing) myself peeling off my wetsuit, and that effort really paid off. I ran up the transition carrying my wetsuit, and it felt terrific.
There are definitely advantages to being older. Out of the 51 RTB racers, I would guess I went first, in the 4th wave. The water wasn't too choppy, yet. I was able to bike both up and down the little hill to I-90 because it still wasn’t too slick. The rain didn't start in earnest until I was running the last mile - then the heavens opened up and it really poured.
The run! I slowed several times, took one step, thought about my wagered RTH points and then picked up the pace. I trotted up the hill, and ran as hard as I could down the street to the entrance to the park. I barely had anything left, and started counting my steps out loud to make sure I made it to the finish. Crossed the mat, yelled “472, lost my chip!” to the timer, heard her say “Got it,” and was all done!!!
After: Now I know what can happen when you train all year. I’ll be in a different age group next year, and 10th place in that group did 1:32. Wonder if that’s a possibility for me, who’s never been a runner, or a biker, or a swimmer, or an athlete – until now!!!!
AND, I may have to do the Black Diamond Olympic to end my best year on an outstanding note --

No comments: