Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Cheryl's Update from Cozumel..... 5 days till Ironman

Just a quick update from the Island of Swallows – Cozumel.

After 15 hours we finally arrived yesterday.   Wow – it is beautiful here!   We headed down to the beach and for some lunch and headed back early.   With a midnight flight on Sunday it was a long day.  I have some wicked sinus thing going on as usual for my pre-Ironman training combined with flying I think I certainly have an infection going on.   I woke up to a major sinus headache and not being able to breathe too well.   I did go out for a 40 minute run down to the park where the swim and T1 will take place.   It also is home to a large national park and you can swim with dolphins there.   It was very WARM even at 7am this morning.   Very humid for sure.

Rob got the bike back together and I went out for a ride.   There is no headwind/tailwind here – all just headwind and cross winds.  Ironman is a very strange thing here for sure.  Many of the locals seem to be in awe.   A lot of long stares and confusion.  Ironman has their work cut out for them here.   They produced a small brochure and are handing out to locals to tell them about what is happening.  It looks like a comic book version of trying to explain what Ironman is to someone.   We saw one but have not been able to put our hands on keeping one.   It was truly too funny and I want one for sure.

We met a lovely  Australian couple who lives in San Francisco on the shuttle from the airport.  We saw them again at the store (which was the weirdest experience trying to figure out what we were ACTUALLY buying – someone should have taken Spanish before coming) and they invited us out for a ride around the island in their car on Thursday.   I met another guy this morning and we plan to ride in the morning and he said he rented a motor scooter yesterday and drove the course.   He said the wind on the other side of the island doesn’t stop and runs about 15 mph.   Whew.  I have my work cut out for me.

We ventured downtown and they are literally jack hammering up the speed bumps and laying new asphalt in down for the race.  Apparently there is 8 miles that still needed to be paved on the back side that we are still awaiting word on if it was done or not.  Could be a bit like a cyclocross race instead J   There were some great banners downtown saying “Impossible is not something I have on my mind”.   Could be a cool new mantra.   We hit the Americian Pharmacia for some lovely Cipro for my infection and hoping that helps – we will know in 4 days apparently according to Maria behind the counter.

Ok, off to swim for now and if we can figure out how to send pictures from here.

ci

Posted via email from raisethebar's posterous

No comments: