Monday, November 23, 2009

And now we look forward to Cheryl Iseberg's Ironman next Sunday!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Well another year and another Ironman to do.   This year I decided to do a “late” Ironman since last year was full of fun with two Ironman’s in 8 weeks.   Although this has been one HELL of a year for me personally because of work related issues, once those issues went away in May I was able to concentrate on rebuilding a base phase for training and more importantly building a new business that I am quite proud of.

This summer brought some break through races for me personally with PR’s and just a few weeks ago, my fastest 5k EVER.  That in the news that a local ranking group for sprint triathlons gave me top 10 overall female masters (anyone older then 40 – or old if you will) has given me some new inspiration for what might be on Sunday, November 29th.     The bike has been spruced up (god bless Tory at Old Town Bicycle) and the bags are starting to get packed for a midnight flight this Sunday toward our destination of Cozumel, Mexico.   About a month ago, reports were that humidity in Cozumel was a mere 100%.  I just can’t wait for that J.   In Maui over the last month or so brought some very tough conditions for heat and humidity so I assume that will par for the course on race day.

The swim will be in the ocean and will be way too hot for wetsuits so I am packing the Zoot Speedsuit (think of what Michael Phelps wore in the Olympics – but on me – that is kind of a freaky picture) and some sporty new goggles from Blue Seventy that I love.  It sounds like the water conditions are pretty consistent with the current being the worst going out and will be with us coming back.  It is a one lap swim.  Out 1.2 miles and back 1.2 miles.   Then a lovely transition with a change of clothes to a 112 mile ride on my trusty bike.   This route will be a 3 lap circuit of roughly 37 miles each.   Apparently there is a 9 mile stretch that is quite notorious for cross winds so that should be quite fun to do 3 times.   After that another transition to some fresh shorts for a quick 3 laps around the island of about 8 miles each for a nice marathon in the tropical breezes.   What more could one ask for but to do 140.3 miles on a lovely Sunday?

Rob and I are looking forward to getting to Cozumel and of course wondering what type of Thanksgiving may greet us.  Perhaps turkey burritos?   Well I am smarter then that and I am toting my Corn Flakes with me and I plan to dine on them for a week because I don’t dare get sick.  I have been there and done the “get sick the day before an Ironman and never start the race thing” and I don’t plan to do that again.

I am hoping for a great day and of course hoping  all of you will send thoughts of “speediness” to me next Sunday.  As you eat breakfast, lunch, AND dinner, think of me because I will still be out on the course doing my best to circumnavigate the island as many times as possible.   I am a bit worried that the race coverage will not be online for you to track me.  Information has not been coming as standard as what we find in the states and the last one was in Spanish (which I am currently thankful for Google translator).  This is an inaugural event and as my coach has warned me “perhaps may not be to the standards of racing in the US” so it could get interesting.

In case it is available, you can go to www.ironmanlive.com on race day.   The race starts at 7am e.s.t and you have until midnight (17 hours) to finish.  There should be a notice somewhere on the page that Ironman Cozumel is happening and a link that says “Track an Athlete”.   You can put in my name or my race number (935) and find out what is happening.  My coach has cautioned me about estimating a time and just to go hard and of course I plan to do that.  I plan to go through heat, humidity and hell on Sunday but I am going to give it my best shot to come home with a personal best time.

Thanks everyone as always for their words of encouragement and support – it means a great deal to me.   I am hoping that next Sunday, I will hear those words “YOU ARE AN IRONMAN” for the 6th time in 5 years.

Aloha and never let your memories be greater then your dreams….

Cheryl

Posted via email from raisethebar's posterous

No comments: