Monday, August 31, 2009

Shaun Linse Lake Sammamish Race Report

This was my first triathlon of the season and Scott's very first. It was a great day!!!!!

We arrived and it was pitch dark outside and of course we didn't have a flash light but filled up our tires by the car and went to set up our transition. This is the first year that I've had a Raise the Bar coat. Usually I wear my Raise the Hope Sweatshirt. I love wearing that coat around. People were asking me questions because they thought I was official and I new what I was doing because of our outfits. I felt like I looked fast and intimidating whether I was or not!!!!

I met some great people and one girl we're going to e-mail each other on what races we're doing because we'll both be 50 next year, although she passed me on the run. She either wants to race with me because of that or because a girl with a mountain bike came up and wanted to move us down to put her bike in on the end and I told her she needed to get here in the dark to have the prime location and she said well at the Danskin... and I said this is not the Danskin. So I guess I was a little assertive in my uniform but don't worry, Patty, it was in a friendly manner.

I went into this race as a training race with no real time goal. I would have liked to get under 1:30 but haven't done this course and first triathlon this season and no taper so didn't have a high expectation of that. My goal was to do this race with Scott for his first. Of course, I would have love to beat him but pretty sure that wasn't going to happen because of my run.

Scott started two waves ahead of me, approximately 6 minutes. When I got out of the water, Patty said he is about 30 seconds ahead of you and I said, Crap!!! I got to the transition and forgot to set my watch so had no idea what my swim time was. Yes, Cathy, I forgot to set my watch. Can you believe that?

I saw Scott get on his bike as I was running out of transition with my bike. It was a slow start because of the course at the beginning, single file cones, and it was raining. I was being pretty conservative on the bike. About two miles into it Kathy Morrison blows by me and says Good job, Shaun. I looked at her and saw that she was not letting the rain bother her and I thought that's why she's an elite. I also thought what Greg would have said, You're sailing, Shaun. You should be in your aerobars. I still didn't spend a lot of time in them until the second half when I relaxed and just said forget about the rain. I was cautious around the tight turns and cones because some we're knocked over, but overall my bike was good. I did a 47:49 on the bike. I know I could have done faster on the dry pavement but I'm glad it poured down rain because once I relaxed I was fine and this is a training race for Black Diamond Olympic which there's a good possibility it will rain.

When I came in from the bike Patty said it was slippery and so I took it easy. Gina and Chris were there and said Scott just came in. I saw him as I was running out of transition and, oh, if I could run faster. It didn't happen and I saw him run off into the sunset and everyone else was passing me too. Such a familiar theme, need to do speed work!!!! I like training but a race really tells you where your training is at and what your weakest link is. Mine is still running and I'm going to keep working on that!!!

At the end Scott was waiting for me and he beat me by 2 minutes. He did 1:31 and I did 1:33. It was a lot of fun and especially with all the Raise the Bar turnout. He was so excited and now wants to work on his swim. I knew I should have picked a half mile swim for his first so I could beat him just once. He was so excited and he said he had all this Testosterone and wanted to yada yada with his wife and I told him he should have let me Win!!!! Don't worry, everything is fine and dandy at the Linse household. We had a great day!!!!!

No comments: