Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ed Clarke's Fort Lewis Race Report - SERIES TITLE!

There was perfect weather for Ft Lewis #3 – high 60s and dry. The swim buoy was placed further out, making this a legitimate ½ mile plus, so this would favor a stronger swimmer. Nick Johnson looked confident and ready for the deciding battle. At the gun 165 of us went off in a mass start.
A strong swimmer went off the front immediately and I swam solo 2nd the entire distance, about 15 seconds in arrears. No one right on my toes but a dense line of contenders were within 30 seconds. Off the beach in 12:15 so indeed the course was nearly 2 minutes longer. I had a decent transition and off on the bike, rode clean through the turn I had missed in July. By mile 3 it was clear I was not feeling the A legs of July though. The same gear felt like one gear bigger, just a bit harder to stay on top of. I check the time at the turn-around, there was a chick within 40 seconds! Oh no, there’s Nick only 1:45 back! Dang… I gave everything I had for the return trip but my spirit was a little damaged with those early indications.

Rolling into T2 solo with a bike split of 48:50 (1 minute slower than July) I worked into my run gear clean and quick and out of the park I “jogged”. A strong looking rider (not Nick) rolled in <>
NJ ran 16:59, while I put up a turd in 20:02.

So on the series NJ bested me by 25 seconds. However… my close friend and loyal ally, Minerva, cited a technical point that NJ had entered as an age-grouper the first two races, noting that the rules for series trophy contention clearly state one must race elite all three races. I almost surrendered my trophy anyway out of pride and honor, but hold up, I’m 46 and he’s 23. Screw that. Wood is wood at my age. I have to admit NJ was the faster man this summer but I’m not one to buck the system or question rules and procedure! Bring me the chicken dinner suckers! This trophy is a little nicer than the one I collected 10 years ago. I’m still contemplating whether I will carve an asterisk into it, or maybe just let the little NJ detail fade into the forgotten forest.

No comments: