Saturday, August 15, 2009

Phil Spencer's Crash....ugh....




Not only did Phil sacrifice some dermis on this little adventure, he also sacrified his beautiful Cervelo Road bike. RIP...

Small turn out for the sunday ride. Wet roads. Erin and Rick both working me like a rented mule the entire ride. Took Spencer Corner at what I thought was a reduced speed but apparently not reduced enough and I went down...again...at the same exact spot! Slid across the oncoming lane of traffic. Somehow my long suffering and greatly overworked guardian angel kept me largely out of trouble again. Lots of f'Brian style road rash and bruised ego but all bones seemingly still connected.

There was still the little matter of my race and after a call to Speedy Reedy they said they would be able to replace the destroyed derailleur, the bent derailleur hanger tape and lever in about 1 and a half hours to get me to the race in Kirkland in time. So after a very painful shower and debridement, I loaded up the big hairy mutt, and we made the trek to Speedy Reedy. I gotta say, they really are an awesome shop and did all the work in time for me to get to the race.

So the race was basically an exercise in jumping back on the horse that threw me. No time to ease back into feeling comfortable on the bike as this would be a fast, technical course with high speed corners and 60 people all trying to continually move up. The first ten minutes was crazy fast and I felt every bump and bruise, then it settled down and I was feeling better every lap. Final lap, final corner...I was sitting 5th wheel in perfect shape when another guy came diving into my inside where there was no room and nocked my rear tire out. I had to break and hold up to stay upright and...for the third time this year, my sprint was over before it started. No points:-( I stuck around afterwards and flirted shamelessly the rest of the evening and watched the rest of the racing. Not only did I have Leo working for me but I also had bandages for the "pity" attention-seeking angle. Saw lots of people I haven't seen in a long time and had a blast.

No comments: