Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Paul Grove's Ironman Run Report....

The end of the saga...

In the last two years I have learned how to shuffle in a fairly quick and economical style. Unless I'm sprinting a short distance or running on totally fresh legs I don't have a high knee lift and high back kick like I used to. It was my brother in law that first pointed out that this should help prevent cramps and it does. My plan for the run (and entire day for that matter) was to be as economical as possible, even if that meant walking some of the hills. Throughout the run this would confuse RTB friends and family because they assumed that if I'm walking it must mean that I'm having problems and then their cheers would change in tone. That was not needed. I walk during most of my training runs and some of my marathons and usually finish those marathons in under four hours. Only a few times during the IM run did I really need to walk. But for the start of the run the out and back was flat so I started running gently. I saw Phil heading out for his second loop and made it a goal to catch him. First I set my watch to stopwatch mode and then I needed to get some vaseline from the aid station volunteers. I would hate to stain my new bike jersey with blood. I took some vaseline and gave the volunteers a big thank you. I always try to look directly at the volunteers and sincerely thank them with a smile. I did that all day long and I think that it improves my mood and gives me energy to continue. Or maybe not, but the volunteers and spectators do a great job in CDA.

I passed my family as I ran along the boardwalk. "Where's Bill?" I asked. They informed me that he was in front of me. I knew it! I had not seen him all day because he was so far ahead of me. "That means you need to run faster!" the guy next to my mom yelled. I smiled and gave him a thumbs up but really I was running my own race and nobody elses. I passed the first mile in about 9:30. I noticed that the weather this year was only warm unlike the scorching oven that we had two years ago.

I caught up to Phil on Lakeside Ave and thanked him for his advice in his "10 steps to kill the IM bike course" e-mail. So far my nutrition and pacing was working perfectly. He wasn't too chatty at this point (I really can't imagine why. Shouldn't everyone be willing to run and talk with you when they are on their fifteenth mile and you are on your second? Is that really too much to ask of your competitors? : ) I few minutes later Brian Guillian passed me. I didn’t even consider following him. He was running way too fast and attempting to chase down a Kona qualifier during the first three miles of your marathon isn't too smart. So he encouraged me for a few seconds and I told him he was doing great and then I was staring at the back of his taped up calf muscle.

Thinking about the marathon now, it seems like there really are not that many stronger runners who group up together to run. I saw a lot of people walking together, but among those running faster than 10 minute/mile everybody was by themselves. That is too bad because although I was feeling good, I would have been feeling better if I had found someone to help keep the pace.

Out on the Centennial Trail I saw Bill coming back towards town and he was looking good. He wasn't walking and he had a smile on his face. "Look at you. You are the man, Bill!" I shouted to him. I must have had a really good bike ride this year!

I walked the big hill at the turnaround. On the way up I started talking with another athlete and I found out that he was an ultrarunner too, so we talked about the differences between IM and ultras. There really aren't that many differences besides the obvious so the conversation was short. After we reached the bottom of the hill he needed to walk so I continued on by myself (or perhaps he just wanted me to shut up? I doubt it, he was talking more than me!)

So far, I was shuffling/running well and walking only small amounts. I was able to restart running after the breaks and really didn't have any problems with the marathon at this point. My stride was getting longer and slightly quicker, I think. My calf muscle did one quick hard twitch near mile 11 so I took a salt tablet and shortened my stride. The cramp never returned and the hampstring cramp from T1 was long gone too.

I ran back into town by myself watching for RTB spectators and other athletes and cheering for them when I saw them. Running downhill along Lakeside Ave into the city park I saw my family and they were still waving and cheering loudly. I decided that I should cheer and wave to them for a change. I was acting like a clown, but at that point I was having so much fun that I didn't care. I was feeling so good along that stretch (it's downhill) that I truly wished that the run was longer than 26.2 miles. I glanced at my watch near the transition area-2:03 for the first half. Very good.

I caught up to Bill and asked him about his day. The told me that he had a terrible swim and was almost knocked out by a surfboard. I knew that he must recovered and rode a great bike split, but he was wasn't talking about it and instead was concerned that he dropped his S caps and his quads were cramping. I offered him a tablet and he declined, not wanting to use mine. What a nice guy. I demanded that he take one since I had three left. He finally did. I hope it helped. He convinced me to start running and see how many people I could pass in the second half. I started running faster than earlier but still I was more concerned about my own race than anyone elses.

Before reaching the Centennnial Trail I saw Bri, whom I had met on Thursday at the RTB dinner, coming back into town. I stopped to walk and ask her about her race. She was cramping. I asked her is it too much salt or too much water? She wasn't sure. As I understand it, too much water more often results in cramps and too much salt causes nausea. So I gave her a salt tablet and wished her luck.

My own nutrition was going good at this point. I was using plain flavored gel that I had in my T2 bag and was drinking Gatoraide at nearly every aid station during the first loop. I took a couple oranges during the run too. During the second loop I started drinking cola and water instead of Gatoraide. My stomach started to ache around mile 19 but a quick stop at the port a potty helped. It didn't totally relieve the pain, but helped. It was not a major crisis and I was able to continue running. My legs were getting more heavy but still working good.

I was taking more walking breaks more often, but when I was running, I was running faster (at least it felt like it!) Near mile 23 I started to run more urgently hoping that my calves would not cramp. They were twiching again, but now I was out of S caps since I had taken my last one over an hour ago. I started looking at my watch trying to figure out what the race time was. I knew it was under 13 hours but I couldn't figure out the specific time. At mile 24 I saw Kristin running easily toward me. I asked her about her day. She was tired. That was it. "No nausea or cramps?" I asked. No, just tired. I knew she would make her goal time for the race.

A mile later I saw Bri headed out for her second loop. I stopped running and asked her about her race. She was cramping and having stomach issues. The only advice I could offer was "broth for cramps and cola and water for nausea". She was talking clearly and gave me a big high five with plenty of force which were good signs. I had no doubt that she would continue on.

I started to run as fast as I could. I thanked the volunteers as one informed me that it was just six blocks to the finish. I actually think it was less than that.

As I came down the finishers chute I used my arms and kept my head up to maintain form and sprinted as hard as I could. There was one guy still in front of me. "I'm gonna get that guy" "I want to catch that guy" I kept saying to myself. I was sprinting just like I did at the finish of the White River 50 last year. In that race I didn't quite catch the guy in front of me as he still beat me by a half step (we received the same time after 10+ hours of running). This time I did and ran hard through the finish line. The volunteers told me to slow down. The volunteers sit right at the finish line waiting for you. At 5 and 10k races they sit back knowing that you will sprint to the finish. I nearly tripped over a piece of metal that was supporting the bleachers.

I looked at my watch. It read 4:14 for the marathon, but officially my time was 4:15:06. I told the volunteers that were now holding me up that I didn't need medical and that I would be OK. The woman asked a few times because my eyes were closed and I was talking so softly. I was exhausted and NOW I wanted to puke. But I didn't. I couldn't believe that I finished the race in 12:35. I thought that I would come in near 13 hours. That proves that I really can't do math when I'm running. : )

I stayed at the finish line area for nearly three more hours walking around and watching people come in. Patty is right, the party really does get better later in the night.

This was probably my best race (running, biking, or tri) yet. I had a lot of fun prior to the race hanging out with friends. I met some great people. The race itself was as perfect as I could hope for. Some luck with the weather played a huge role in that. If the race had been just one week later we would have been miserable. the forcast said that it was 98 in Post Falls on June 28. Even the swim wasn't really that bad, although I'm ready to go back to the calm, peaceful waters of Lake Morton or Meridian.

As late as March of this year I was on the fence as to if I would even do this race. Then I committed but said that I would never do another one. But...I don't know. Maybe I will be back in 2010 or 2011. I hear Pentictin is a beautiful area. Perhaps I should do an event in Canada in a couple years?

Thanks to all those that encouraged me before, during, and after the race. The people at Ironman Couer d Alene really are awesome.

2 comments:

Running 2 Mohican said...

Gret race! I also like dyour info on nausea and s-cpas. I think I am consuming too many s-caps and that is causing me to have problems in my 100 milers.

IronBri said...

Paul kept me sane during that run! I may have been speaking clearly when he saw me, but I felt like I was falling over!