Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Brad William's Ironman Report

There is nothing else quite like the morning of an IM race...looking into the faces of the racers as they mentally prepare for the day tells 2200+ stories...seeing my RTB teammates prior to the race start was inspiring...as Rob noted its not the destination but the journey and I know a great deal had gone into the journey for all. Off to the swim start...it is almost magical how I know I will see Dr. Spencer at the swim start every year, all I have to do is look over my shoulder...word is getting out about starting the swim just inside the buoys and it was great to see the familiar faces of team RTB...the swim was very comfortable this year and I swam most of it alone which was very relaxing...sorry I missed the RTB'ers in the wet suit strip but I'll watch closer next year...next is who will catch me first on the bike...along comes Dr. Spencer first with some great words of encouragement as he powerfully pulled through on his way to a solid bike split on a windy day...I want to note that I saw Rob during one of the overlap portions of the course on his bike looking good...Rob, you are my hero for getting right back on the horse and signing up for next year! Next came Twinkie powered Brian looking strong as he pulled along side during lap 2...he said he was feeling a little noise in his calf but based on the ease he pulled away he looked great to me...next I felt this little pat on my ass and I knew that it could only be the Big Daddy Ed Clarke...Ed being a man of few words made a couple of encouraging comments and went by looking fabulous...Ed always did love the wind...the rest of the way into town on the bike was all about staying aero and plowing through the wind...as I came off the bike my body was rebelling and it was pretty clear the run would be a challenge...Kelvin was waiting at the transition tent and lied by saying I looked great but I needed to hear that right then...next Patty came by about 5 miles into the run looking great and trying to spur me into a run or at least a fast walk but I sent her on her way...on the way back from the first turnaround, I began a long succession of hand slaps with the RTB teammates...what I didn't realize at the time was that it began to change my mindset and I started feeling better every time I saw someone...I noticed that slim Bill was closing on me and was looking strong...then Mr. Grove was galloping at a much faster pace than I...Heather was looking unbelievably strong and steady...Kristin had a big grin every time I saw her...Cheryl seemed to be enjoying every step each time I saw her...Jerry Thayer looked good and was running strong...Jim Hutter looked like the bionic man - at 60 years young he sets the standard that I should be able to do these things for 10 more years...and Nancy conveys an iron will and determination that is amazing...my friend Patti A. always inspires me...I know she will be back! Thanks to all of you as you gave me energy to negative split the marathon by over 30 minutes...actually I was running for my life trying to stay ahead of Bill, Paul and Heather...I had a flicker of hope that I would catch Patty but had written that off as I checked my watch and saw she had 18 minutes with about 5-6 miles to go...but thanks to Bill-Paul-Heather closing the gap I kept pushing through the last 6 miles...and then Christmas came early as I rounded the final turn for the finishing straight and there was Patty...should I just stay behind her? Should I sprint past? Once she saw me the decision was made and I had to go for it...it is my most memorable finish ever!

While my time was not great this year, I thoroughly enjoyed the journey with all of you and look forward to next year! Congratulations to all! I can't wait to see Brian and Nancy in Kona! -Brad

No comments: