Monday, July 07, 2008

Kathy Morrisson's 1/2 Iron Race Report -Lake Stevens 2008


Karen Nolting and I have signed up together for so many races now, I do not know what the count is. It always starts with one of us emailing the other with a great idea of doing some race, it catches on like a really bad cold and the next thing I know one of us registers causing the other to follow suit. Since we do lots of our training together, we tend to do the same races as then we both get to experience the race after all that training.

So this January was no different. I cannot recall who started this one, nor is it important. I think it was around the same time we signed up for the Whidbey Marathon too. I spent the winter riding and running in the crazy winter weather and putting together a strong base for both a Marathon in March and a 1/2 Iron in July. I had my share of injuries and got to visit George at Kent East Hill PT. I ended up not able to swim or outdoor bike for a portion of the winter and even looked up if I could defer or transfer my 1/2 Ironman Race. I found out I could not, so decided to just train.

So on Saturday, I found myself in the Sport Mini-Van on my way to pick up Karen Nolting. Karen and I then drove to Renton to pick up our newest training partner Michelle Fjetland. We got lost trying to find Michelle's but that was all part of the adventure and my gas bill. The three of us then headed to Everett to our hotel and packet pick up location. At packet pick up, you must attend a meeting regarding the rules and the course. This is the first time the three of us had attended such a meeting and the head referee did a great job in scaring us into being rule abiding triathletes.

We hooked up with Kristine Kloepfer, Patty Swedberg and Tammy Magnuson and headed out to the transition area to rack our bikes. Then off to a very enjoyable evening at the Olive Garden for dinner.

Karen, Michelle and I stayed at the Holiday Inn together in Everett. We prepared all our gear and hopped into bed by 9PM. Unfortunately going to bed early does not mean you will sleep and the night seemed to just wear on as I watched the digital clock by the bed move minute by minute. I was very thankful for 4 AM when we got up and it was finally race day.

I was very happy to finally be at race day. I had some expectations of what I wanted to do in the 1/2, but had narrowed it down to enjoying my day. I feel a lot of pressure to do well at races so I decided having fun might alleviate some of that pressure. I had been swimming approximately 1.2 miles in Lake Morton at 30-32 minutes, I had rode the course in 3:02 and I figured after all that I could hold a 2 hour half marathon. So my rough time goal was 5:30.

While preparing my transition area, I see Oscar Miller. He spent the winter bike riding with the Thursday group and even joined us for a couple trips to Lake Stevens. If you do not know this RTBer- you need to meet him. Great Guy. Heard he was teaching animal noises to the crowd while waiting on us. Soon after I see my Uncle Al. He has participated in countless marathons, triathlons etc... and has always been a big supporter of my athletic activities.

It is finally time to race, wetsuits are on and I am standing with a group of fellow 35-39 year old women waiting for our turn to jump off the dock to tread water until it is our turn to start. I also get a Go Kathy from Lisa Worthington from Team Fast. It was nice to get one more cheer before the big start. When I jump in, I realize the water is a great temperature (72 degrees) and there is no more time for thinking. It is go time (stole that from Brian G.). I know that there is a buoy line that you can follow but I do not mind sighting so I decide to site off the big buoys and not worry about the buoy line. I do see the buoy line some of the time but it is not my goal to stay with it so I am not worried when I do not see it. The swim seemed like a long way out and a long way back but I guess 1.2 miles in the water is a long way.

Coming into T1, I was my usual dizzy self. I got my wetsuit off and socks on and then decided I needed to sit down before heading out to get the spin out of my head. That mostly worked and I grabbed my bike and off I went. The course had changed from my pre-rides so I did not know what the beginning of the course was like. It ended up being rolling hills in the country- just fine for this hill loving girl. My first encounter with traffic was a motor home heading up a hill behind a long line of bikes. Bikers were going around it on the left side but I decided to wait it out. Lucky for me it turned off the road quickly and I caught those motor home passing bikers quickly.

I had this great nutrition plan all figured out. And it worked but I had some issues with my method. I had unwrapped my powerbar and put it on top of my gels in my bento box as I had decided I would start with it after the swim. I pulled it out and stuck to it was my gels and salt tablets. It cracked me up. I knocked all the extra stuff off and started eating. I think it took me a full loop to get that down but I also used the gels during the ride. I also had one gel that ripped too high so I could not use it and then another I squeezed all over my bento box while putting the top in the box. By the time I finished this ride I was a sticky mess (and I was stuck to aero bar a good part of the ride and had to pry my hand off to change gears).

Back on the ride, I kept my first loop at a reasonable but quick speed trying not to over do it so I could make a good second loop. When I came around to start my second loop I could hear Patty, Kristine, Uncle Al and Oscar yelling at me (in a nice cheering way). It was so good to hear and see them. I then switched out my water bottle for a gatorade. Never done that before but I had no problems. Then I was off on my second loop. The last time I rode Lake Stevens, I rode 2 loops and felt great the first and shortly into the second it started to feel really hard so my expectations where to have that happen again. So I started the second loop waiting for that tiredness and pain to hit... but it didn't. I felt great (tapers work) and just kept pushing and pedaling.

Coming in to T2 I was feeling a little chocked up. I had finished the ride without problems or pain. I also knew my husband and kids should be there to cheer and I was looking forward to hearing them. They were there so I was able to make it through T2 with no problems and a happy heart.

The run. My most favorite discipline but it is always so hard to do after a swim and bike. I guess I want to feel like I do when I do just a run race. It is not that way I guess. This course is made up of two loops which have a loop and an out and back in them so you go by the crowd many times during the race. I passed Patty, Oscar and Kristine's latter Kristine would be replaced by Tammy and her husband) corner first with boogers hanging out of my nose- which I pointed out to them because it was cracking me up. I also passed my family again and Uncle Al. Then it was off on a quiet first loop. I saw Joe Hafner on the way out who gave me a good positive go get 'em. Also saw the Hafner family out there cheering. At the out and back I got to see Karen Gardner, Michelle Fjetland and Karen Nolting. Boy it was good to see them. They looked so good too. I felt that the first full loop was hard and when I passed the cheering corner, I put out my lower lip in a pout. I felt like it was just time to stop. But with some cheering from my family and friends and a really big departing "Go Kathy" from Patty. I felt better. The second loop went better and again I got to see Karin, Michelle and Karen and we cheered for each other.

The finish was finally here and so is almost the end of my write up. Crossing the finishing line should be a touching moment but I think the race is the touching moment and the finish is a relief. I finished in 5:18.37 which put me 4th in my age division. My swim was 37:43, bike 2:54:30 and run 1:42.44. With this finish I had the opportunity to take a slot to go to 70.3 World's in Clearwater, Florida. And to top it off my buddies Michelle and Karen could go too. The story of us making up our minds could be an entire blog in itself. But I signed up, so it looks like I am training for another 1/2 this year. And of course a long story needs a good ending- Michelle and Karen are going too! YAHOO.

No comments: