Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Jim Hutter's Ironman Report... and maybe his last???

Congratulations Brian and Nancy and everyone who competed. I had a blast and even finished in the top 10 in my age group. Of course at my age there were only 24 participants but that is beside the point.

Lowlight was the start of the swim. At the first buoy I found myself unable to breathe. I swam over to a kayak thinking holy crap I have been training for 30 weeks and this is how it ends. Another guy was also hanging onto the kayak and he explained that my breathing difficulties were a result of my body not yet being adjusted to the cold water and to hang on to the kayak, breathe deeply, and relax for a couple of minutes. I took his advice and had no further problems during the swim except for the hand to hand combat at the each turnaround. Got frog kicked a few times in the old kisser.

The bike was grueling but I took it very easy the first loop and picked it up the second loop and probably passed 30 bikers during the final 15 miles. I probably took it too easy the first loop but who knows. It feels good to finish strong at least. Not a sterling time but those hills are brutal and I am not exactly mister hill climber.

The run felt great and Joe, the team swim coach, assisted me in the transition area. Nice guy. I ran the first 15 miles only walking through each aid station. I couldn’t really believe I was feeling that good. The rest of the way I walked a little and but mostly jogged. Got passed by Kristin Anderson and ran with her for a time until I realized that I couldn’t keep up with the youngster without losing my cookies.

Now for the grand finale. I am running down the finish line high fiving everybody and looking for my family. With 10 yards to go my toe caught on a fold on the carpet and I went flying into the air landing on my butt about 3 feet from the finish line. How embarrassing. Sunglasses flew off my head and everyone is asking me if I was okay. I was fine except for my bruised ego but tried to make the best of it by laying on my back and pointing both fingers to the heavens which resulted in a big cheer from the adoring crowd. I then got up and walked across the finish line. What a fantastic way to go out as I am 99% sure that I have done my last Ironman and will now turn to shorter distances where my current level of fitness may be an advantage in the 60 to 64 age group. Eight is enough and the old knees are breaking down.

By the way, never did figure out how to pee properly in that skin suit. I think we need to have a seminar on that.

Rob, get well quickly!

No comments: