Thursday, October 23, 2008

Nancy Larson's Kona Ironman Race Report

What a Day!!! My goal was just to finish…finish I did!!!

Swim

The long ocean swim was just like my mind and body remembered I had plenty of time to mull over how far I had come to this day as fifty-seven old woman facing the biggest physical challenge of my life.

I seeded myself to far to the right and swam to the wrong buoy so I missed out in the group swim “Darn it” I missed out on all the fun, being kicked, ran over and knocked in the head, I love that combat swimming so, my swim was uneventful and long….

Finally I reach the open showers since Public nudity is prohibited it was hard to get in the nook and crannies. Off to change into my Biking gear, no problem there…out to bike.

Bike

Took with off with nice and easy pace for about 28 miles, this is not so bad, that lasted about 10 minutes, then hell broke loose wind started up it was blowing from the side, front and back, It was very hard to keep my straight and then I receive a gust of wind that sent me flying into the incoming lane on my front tire and scarring the gal behind me. I got control of my bike and wishing I didn’t use my racing wheels. I finally reach the mile 60 and pick up by feed bag, I had peanut butter sandwich, It tasted so good, Off I went with the wind to my back, This feel great…..I’m going to make up some time, it lasted only 5 minutes.. Wind turned to front and I had head wind for the rest of race. About mile 75 my feet started hurting, no big deal, just take a little pressure off them for a while, It just got worse, it was so painful, I didn’t think I could make it until this gal came by ask me how are you doing, I told her the problem, she said, you are going to have get off your bike for few minute, “it will pay off in long run”. It did help for a while, it did get me through to end of the most brutal bike ride I ever been on. Heading toward town there was Brad!! he was running along the road with a” backpack” he told me you are my hero Nancy! I did have the heart to say “I’m not going out on the run, I can’t, feel my feet”. There just no way I could go out on the run ...”no way”... well… things change when you in changing tent, Gal came over to help me change, I told her I’m not going out on the run, she look me straight into my eyes and said you look good and I would regret not going out, she said you can do this! Even if you have to walk, you can do this!!!!! You have the time. While she was talking to me she was message my feet with Vaseline then proceeded to put my sock and shoe on and then she kick me out

Run

I started walking and hoping to get some feeling back in my feet and has I was walking

I was telling myself I can do this!!! I can do this!!! just stay focus on the finishing line I came around corner heading out for the run there was, Tracy and Sam , it was so good to see them, I painfully, had to tell them I ’m going to be walking for a while to get some feeling back into my feet. So I walk for about 1.5 miles there was my husband and Uncle George I told them I may have to walk more than running They looked so concern for me, I just couldn’t have them watch me walk away, so I started to run, until they were out of site, I did his until I ran into a 68 year old man name Chuck 10 time IM, he ask how I was doing, told him about my hurting feet, so we partnered up and started out on our walk/run journey. There was Athlete that just completed the IM cheering us on as we were making our way out to the Energy Lab, It made us feel encourage about our long journey out to Lab, so we made goals to walk to one cone and run to one cone, It work great…. I’m so, glad I ran into Chuck, it got really dark out there and it could have been very lonely. We walk/ran to mile 18 the Energy lab turn around , by then Chuck ask me how my feet were, I said they don’t hurt any more, because I can’t feel them!!! “I Ask Chuck of his feet, he said just tried. At this time, we new we were going to make it”, so we started to pick up our pace, which was good because I started to get a diaper rash and it was starting hurt!!!! As we headed toward town you could hear the crowds, so your pace and heart rate quickens. (“You are going to finish”) we came around to finish line and what a crowd we had! They were clapping and cheer us on and telling us, that’s how you do it! with team work. It was the happiest day of my life to go across the finish line. YOU DID IT……all through the race I telling myself” I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN”, Now ask me again, If I get the another chance I would do it in a heart beat!!!

To me Ironman is a level playing field in terms of the physical. Yes, some of us are very slow, and it’s people like us who make people fast, but we’re all prepared in our own way. But what is very different is how we are and how we handle the obstacles that come our way, Yes, it sucks and yes, it hurts, but how do you get to the other side of what is put in front out?

I think some of the tough times in these events have made me realize my boundaries. My limitations are so beyond what I thought they were... I’ve learned patience. And I’ve learned to appreciate me!

I would like to thank the gal in changing tent for kicking me out of the tent and to Chuck who gave me courage to finish.

No comments: