Monday, June 16, 2008

A Spectator's Guide to Ironman Coeur d'Alene


We've polled some of RTB's most renowned Ironman CDA Spectators and are posting their words of wisdom here.


Jen Boesplug and friend Julie Guillen are spectating junkies....and spectate in style. Our athletes LOVE these girls....


About spectating......three words.....MORE COW BELL! Really the cow bell is so fun, I have to admit maybe not so fun for my neighbors though. The cow bell or other noise maker is good because seriously by the end of the day your clapping hands are tired. This is a hard one to complain about given what the racers are going through! I think by the end we were just pretending to clap, should I admit that? For the swim section, get there early. Maybe go a day ahead and scope out your spot. I think we were in our spot (which was awesome) at 5:00 am. So early, but totally worth it. We even had people try to crowd us out, but we held strong. Totally worth it again.

My other suggestion is watch until the last swimmer comes out of the water, seeing that person emerge and run up the beach was so awesome. (Maybe because if I did IM that would most likely be me!) Anyway, the last swimmer made me cry my eyes out! We headed north on the bike course and found a great spot near a round about. This gave us a great advantage point for people going and coming. My suggestion here is bring a small lawn chair and some snacks. Also have your camera ready and maybe take a few practice pictures of people ahead of the ones you actually want to photograph. These cyclists are MOVING, I can't tell you how many pictures of backsides I got, not complaining as those are not too shabby to look at either, but I would have like to have captured some pearly whites as well.

At this point we were so excited to see someone we knew that we usually ended up just yelling their name over and over. I think this year we will try practicing some more inspirational cheers, not that we will be able to pull it off but we can try. Really it's like seeing a celebrity only better because you know them, you've rubbed elbows with these people! We did have one guy, who had done IM before, tell us that someone told him once that he was "looking good" and it really helped him out. We tried that one, but Julie usually made it sound like she was trying to pick them up with her "looking good, looking REAL good". For the run I would say maybe stick to the part of the route where they are coming and going. You are likely to catch more RTBers in a shorter amount of time here, then you can make it to the run finish by the time the first runner is coming in.

You don't need to be right at the finish for this part, it's just as cool to be up the street where you can get a roadside seat and once more runners start to come in, even that part gets busy. It's a great day, this year I think we are going to try and stay Sunday night to watch more of the finishers. I can't wait to go. Last year I was so inspired that I did sprint distance that next weekend with only my inspiration as my training.

Bring sunscreen and dress in layers. The swim was really cold to watch. There are also a ton of great restaurants around CDA. If you like burgers Hudson's is the place!


Next up - Marty Larson - husband of RTB's stud Ironwoman Nancy Larson.

I have been to 5 Ironman events in CdA. All were great.
As for the swim take lots of picturs and tell them that they were the one in the picture. I always try to be there for MY Ironman when they head out on the bike. Once they have headed out I try to get breakfast as it is going ot be a long day. I pretty much stay on Sherman as I get to see them coming and going for the bike ride.

I then run down to see them off on there run, here I stay by the waterfront as I again get to see them coming and going. You need more than one of you so you can spot them for their digital moment. Alas you will get the rear shots a lot unless you are magic. I normally shoot from 230 to 400 picturs duing the day. I take extra batteries and extra memory sticks for my camera.
I stay close to the finish line, usally at he end of the bleachers so I can get my moment of glory running down to the finish line, being married to an Ironman Finisher and Podium Ironman for 2 of the last 3 years. (Note from editor - athletes can only take one person in the finish chute with them this year, and they have to be between 6 and 16 years of age - see athlete guide for details!! Sorry Marty!!!)

Water and food are a must as you never know what the day will bring. I have been very cold to over heated ( alas being support staff is not easy) but very necessary. If you work the Mexican resturant you can raise your ICE COLD drink and salute the athlete in pursuit of the finish line.
We tried walky-talkies and they worked OK, except it is hard to find a channel that is not used by more than your group. Cell phones seem to work the best.

Make sure your batteries and your phones are fully charged. It is also helpful to have someone at home monitor the race on-line so you can let them know if they ( the athlete ) needs to pick it up a-little. I use a backpack to carry the things I need. I also try to park as close to the race couse on Sherman so I can get what I need from my SUV ( that’s what it take to haul all of our IRONMAN STUFF over that one day event.As we will be taking ZAK, our maltese with us, I have a new set of challenges to handle, should be interesting. If you are going to support someone, remember that you can pick up their bike before they finish the race if you have the ID info you need.

And from Patti Anderson - 2nd time Ironman this year and 3 time spectator....

Jen & Marty, that is GREAT advice! As I have both spectated and participated, I can atest to your words of wisdom. If you can position yourself out of the crowd, it is nice. The bike course runs almost parallel to a main highway so if you can look at the course map it is easy to drop onto the course in a couple of spots.

Most importantly, WEAR YOUR TEAM GEAR. Have your family and friends wear it too! As you are looking for participants in the gear to cheer for (even louder than you do for the other particants) We, the participants, know the cheering is from someone in the RTB family, which spurs us on harder! (Surely we don't want someone we KNOW seeing us about ready to fall over, and then remind us of it at the next team social, right?)
I am so excited to see everyone on the course! Remember to tell me "You look so strong" not "smell so strong..."
any other spectator words of wisdom out there? leave a comment!!!!

No comments: