Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Heather Nugent's Coeur d’Alene Ironman Race Report


RTB had 15 athletes participating in IMCDA this year. For those of us that were not able to attend, Sunday was spent watching splits and wondering about how the triathletes were holding up. Here is the first race report of what we hope to be more from those Ironman. Congratulations Ironman!

Ok here is my report of my first Ironman race. I apologize because I’m not a detail person especially in races I tend to just zone out.
I got there at 5am to get body marked and finish getting the rest of my stuff ready only to realize that I had forgotten my 7 packs of gu for the bike ride……got a little upset and nervous because it messed up my routine. I was so glad that I had grab about 4 extra plus there was one in my bike bag from one of my training rides and I grabbed the one extra that was in my running pack that added up to 6 gu’s…..okey so I was one short…..it’s weird how little things like this just threw off my whole routine it’s not like they didn’t have gel on the course……I went and got my tires pumped up and off I went to get on my wetsuit.
As I was walking to the water I ran into some of my RTB teammates….Patty Swedburg came over and gave me a hug and I just lost it…..tears just started to run down my checks…I’m not an emotional person…. and I looked up at her and said “I am so overwhelmed!!” I wouldn’t of had the tears if I hadn’t ran into them but now that I think about it I’m so glad I did because it helped relieve some of that pent up nerves.
I walked to the water and stood there just looking out at the swim course trying to determine if I wanted to warm up….Patty Anderson walked up to me and we talked a little and then she said “let’s get our face wet” I’m glad she said that because I really needed to warm up…..It felt good to get my heart going a little….
The swim started at 7 and it was like a swimming frenzy….there were bodies everywhere and I couldn’t find my rhythm….a girl grabbed my shoulders and pulled me underwater and I got a big gulp of water….I had to stop and cough….off again trying to find my pace….I think every once in a while I started a good pace but then more bodies. I have some very weird places on my body that hurts from kicks and elbows….my time for the swim was 1:21:59….I was very surprised with my time it was better than I thought it was going to be….it seemed like it took forever to swim that course.
Transition 1….I get to T1 and there is PK and Tami Barnhart yelling “Heather over here”…so nice to see familiar faces….they rip off my wetsuit….which was also very nice….and off I run to the changing tent. Thanks PK and Tami 
I get into my biking stuff and start running to my bike when I realize that I don’t have my bib number….I run back to the tent and try to find my bag no bib number there…then I see it thrown behind the chairs….off to the bike.
The bike ride went pretty good…a little windy on the back side of the ride but overall a good ride. It was so nice to see all the RTB supporters out there cheering us on….Thank you RTBers you guys were AWESOME!! On the way back to the start of my second loop I see my cute family sitting on the curb waving at me….Gave me strength to start the second loop of the ride. It was a good feeling to ride those hills for the last time. The second loop of the second half was mentally tough because I was so ready to get off that bike seat and give my butt a rest. My bike time was 6:59:10 a little slower than I would have liked.
Transition 2 went smoothly…..it was nice to start the run portion because that is my strongest and also the last part of the whole race…..the run went really well until I hit the last 4miles of the run then fatigue really set in and I walked about 10 minutes off and on....of course now I kick my self for it but overall the run went pretty close to my plan. My run time was 4:18:15
When I was coming down the last part of the run I see my family Mark, Sterling, DuPree, Kadan, and Torin….they were sight for sore eyes…and body!!!! 
When I caught up with my family I tell Mark “I’m never doing that again” but I think it’s like childbirth….later on you forget the pain and do it again….I have 4 boys!! 
Here are my results:
Final time: 12:59:11
Place overall: 1003/1942
Age place: 33/117

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock IRONGIRL!! So sit back relax and enjoy the glory, then get those running shoes on and start training for Boston 2009!!
Love Ya!! Lindy

The Young Family said...

Congrats to you Heather! I missed the session of Mary's running class, but I loved to watch you flying past me! You are a true Ironlady!

See you out there ~ running!

Emily