Monday, July 02, 2007

Jim Hutter's Ironman Race Report



Jim Hutter was the most senior member of RTB's IMCDA squad this year. (He'll love that description)- and had a score to settle with the course. Last year, his knee blew up on him and would land him in surgury just a few days after a heart-breaking DNF (his first EVER). 2007 was a whole new ballgame and Jim finished, despite less-than-ideal circumstances...read on....


I had a fantastic time. I dropped all my salt tablets early in the bike and you probably heard that around the 75 to 80 mile mark I started having major crank issues. The crank was becoming looser and looser and the chain kept falling off. Up until that point I was on plan and feeling great. A nice gentlemen tried to help by trying to tighten the bolt on the crank but it came loose again after a couple of miles. Unfortunately the crank bolt requires a larger allen wrench which only tech support had. It was a truly frustrating experience to watch bike after bike pass me by while I waited for tech support. The finally came and repaired the crank and I was off like a bat out of hell passing bike after bike trying to make up time. I think this effort did me in and the run after about 4 miles became pure hell as I was cramping up. At about the 17 mile mark I decided that all I needed to do at that point was finish the damn race and the time didn’t matter. I came across another runner who was having difficulties and we pretty much just walked and talked until the finish line. I will be back next year with a large allen wrench and a determination to make up for a disappointing but somehow fulfilling race. It was great racing with everyone and I thank everyone for their encouragement and support.

No comments: