Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Kristine Kloepfer, one of Team Thriftway/Crystal Light's newest members had herself a great day at her first half Ironman at Lake Stevens on July 8th, and even gathered enough energy to tell us about it. Congratulations on a terrific accomplishment, Kristine. We're all really proud of you!!!

I did it!!! I am so excited. OK stats first.
Swim: 48:21
T1: 3:25
Bike: 3:35:42
T2: 5:01
Run: 2:29:57
Total 7:02:24

I am too tired to write too much but I'll get in what I can. It was an amazing day. Not only was it an accomplishment of a lifetime, but it was the day of a lifetime.

First, the Swim: I met this guy at dinner last night who had done 18 IM and was here trying to qualify for Clearwater. He gave me one piece of advice. Take it easy on the swim. It will only cost you a few minutes and will be totally worth it. I listened to him and I am really glad I did. The swim was slow but I felt fresh and strong the whole time, doing bilateral breathing through the 1.2 miles. Early on I found the bouy lines underwater and just followed them. Easy as swimming in a pool with almost no spotting necessary. Kinda felt like I was cheating. Came out of the water fresh, strong and ready to bike.

Bike: OMG the hills. That deserves it one more time, OMG the hills. They were relentless. But oh the joy of doing 40mph downhill while loudly yelling WHEEEEE! The bike was so much more difficult than I imagined. The whole first loop I kept thinking, OMG I gotta do this again. There were times on the bike I felt great and times I felt despair but I perservered and did the ride. I will definilty train more hills next time (YES there will be a next time!) The one bad thing about the bike was there was suppose to be gatorade at the bottle exchanges but there was none. My lone 20oz bottle was not enough. Luckily I brought some extra salt tabs cause with no gatorade I really needed it.

The Run: OH, the run. I was so worried after my bike that my legs would be toast after the ride. And doing only 3 mile bricks I had no idea how I would do. My PR on a HM is 2:19 and I only added 10 minutes onto that. I felt really strong about 80% of the run. I kept asking myself, do I really feel this strong?? And kept answering, YES I DO. Except a few water stations and one big hill on the second loop I ran the whole way.

The finish: I had to start holding back tears at mile 11. I was so overjoyed at being there, it was amazing!! By the time I crossed the finish line I couldn't hold back anymore. I felt great, and tears were streaming down my face, and I beat my goal of 7:15.

This is a day I will remember for my whole life. Mike was there all day cheering me on and I can't even tell you how much that helped. Also, much of the run I kept thinking of the RR I was gonna write and that helped me a great deal. I am so proud of myself. I know I MADE IT HAPPEN.

Pain is temporary, bragging rights last a lifetime!!! Thanks everyone. I felt you there with me all day, and oh what a day it was.


Kristine Kloepfer

1 comment:

Don J said...

I was thinking of not doing the Lake Stevens 70.3 after hearing about the difficulty of the course. You've inspired me to give it a go!

Thanks!
Don