Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Arnie Maish's Ironman Report

Note to reader: Arnie Maish decided about 10 days before Ironman to actually go through with the race...with little to no swim or run training or any logistics plan whatsoever. None of this discourages our dashing young bachelor in the least - nor does it diminish his enthusiasm. He arrived in Spokane by train at 1:30AM on Saturday and rode his bike on I-90 to Coeur d'Alene with 45lbs of gear on his back, posting only one flat. Apparently unaffected by Sleep Deprivation, he posted an 11:45 finish and entertained us all weekend.....Way to go, Arnie!! Arnie (back to camera on left) tells the story of
his arrival to CDA to disbelieving teammates




Well, this years IM will be a joy to sum up as it is the 1st time I have avoided an IV bag and the Med tent! Whoo hoo!

After months and months of diligent swim and run training, my arrival friday morning in CDA was a clear demonstration of my well thought out and excuted logistics plan.

Race morning, showing up in T2 as the announcers were calling last call to get out of T2 I calmly ignored said announcer and slowly and joyfully prepared for my day. First things first, I needed to attach my CO2, spairs and tool to my bike. I had attached my number the day before not realizing that it would be covered by my tool bag. With 3 rubber bands I went to work....quickly bundling all items and looping rubber bands over and over them and then banding to the bottom of the saddle. Somewhat confident that my flat kit would make it at least the first 20 miles of the ride I moved on to my next duty, putting my premix solution into my aero bar water bottle. Ooops, didn't bring that with me. Quickly improvising, I saw a gallon water jug sitting next to a tree, looked like water, smelled like water....maybe a little old....I poured about 10 oz's into my bottle and was satisfied as everything was coming togethar as planned. I then double checked that everything was good to go and went about putting my new wetsuit on for its first swim. With new wetsuit on I proceeded to drop off all transition, gear and special needs bags and make my way to the beach. Feeling confident that I had everything in order...
Arrived at beach with a smile on my face as I had told a few athletes at Friday's spagehtti feed that it may be a little rough later in the morning for practice swims but come race day @ 7am it's always calm smooth water :)

Went to the far left next to the fence and peered around for familiar faces...paticularly the old-school single thin green band off Brad's goggles....not seeing those I planned my inside the buoy swim line....swim went well with little to no contact with any other athletes....clear of the water in 1:03....
T1 was lengthy....as I had forgotten a towel and dried myself with one of my spare arm/leg warmers ( tube socks )...as I ran out of the tent and was lathered by sunblock from 4 females ( one of the best parts of every Ironman ) my race belt fell apart so it took about a full minute to put back togethar.....finally on my bike and off I went...

Sipping water I began to look thru my Bento box for my endurolytes.....where are they? My feeding/energy plan was gu, real food, and water with added Endurolytes...with no endurolytes I realized I would have to consume gatorade....so at about mile 45 when I caught Brad I was feeling terribly sick and bloated with my systems way off as the consumption of Gatorade and Gu's completely turned my stomach....that and a little too much pace to start with..



Thankfully Ol' Willy had come properly prepared ( as one would expect ) and was able to give me a hand with 2 salt/electrolyte capsules...swallowed the 1st one with water...broke the 2nd one open in my mouth for quicker action and I started to feel better...now just to clear the stomach...stopped at the port-a-potty before special needs bag. While reading the Sunday paper in the john, Brad passed. When heading into Higgins Point I saw Brad in a very statuesque yoga hip flex pose off his bike. I also saw a competitor take a nasty head/shoulder dive into the concrete trying to get his bag open....note to self...special need bag not worth accident...

Ah, food at last, spirits on the way back up as I started feeling much better. My needs bag was filled with the advice of our good doctor....PBJ and a bag of Tim's cascade Salt and Vinegar chips....WOW - the chips are awesome....I daintly nibbled at my bag of chips all the way thru town and up Government as I wanted to savior each and every crunch.

After disposing of the chips time to start riding again....caught back up to Brad again in about the same spot....shared a few words and then moved ahead..only to have a motorcycle Judge come and lecture me on the finer points of the "box"....no penalty...just a warning...Brad pedaled up to inquire as to penalty or no penalty....we rode together a little more until a descent marked with slow signs signaled to me it was time to accelarate and put some distance between me and my RTB team mate as I knew he would catch me in the run.

In and out of T2 like a pro - under 2 minutes - ( included my favorite part - the 8 hand sun block massage ) I felt like a Kenyan breaking into an 8 minute mile 1 time before getting into my 9-10 minute pace that I was able to maintain for the first 9 miles. I was pleased not to be passed by the top female until mile 7 of the run. At mile 9 my lack of run training started to show and I went to a walk/jog for the next 4 miles. At this point I was very pleased - and decided not to push hard and ruin the day by not finishing. I jog - walked and looked over my shoulder for Brad for the next 4 miles...ahh...finally coming out of the turn around in town there he was - closing down my gap. Finishing the last 12 miles run/walking with Brad and keeping our pace under 12 min miles was a perfect way to end the day. And then came the final turn....we had discussed finishing arrangements and talked about crossing togethar...I felt that if we hit the last straight away togethar that my noble elder would get the nod across the line.....this was the plan until a female passes with 600m to go....this can't be happening....I can out run her to the finish line....I can't take it...been passed already by too many women...Brad gives me the nod to
run her down and off I go....Michael Johnson 400 style to the finish to run her down by 2 seconds....

A great day indeed!

No comments: