Monday, February 02, 2009

RTB Sighting on Maui

I have received one phone call and one email about this RTB sighting on Maui. Here is the story from the point of view of those two involved. Kristine Kloepfer and Cheryl Isberg. And do not worry it has a happy running ending.

Cheryl:

The start of the season always seems to be the hardest. My Sunday ride today was the longest I have done since Ironman Canada and my body is really not playing along much. About 90 minutes into the ride my body seemed to remember back to that 112 mile ride and a promise that was made. I think I made one of those "if I can just get through this race, I promise we will take some time off". The problem is I never told my body that what that meant was a few months of low intensity training but at some point that would change. So, let's say the suffer was on. Then the strangest sight ever - could it be someone standing by the side of the road and a young man yelling "go RTB!". I first thought to myself "my god, I am in a race and I didn’t even know it" then I thought "who is that?".

Of course after I passed the young man I was wondering how he knew about RTB because I was not in my official uniform this day. I opted for RTB shorts and a new Mellow Johnny's Bike Shop jersey that was presented to me for my 44th birthday. Then to my right a while van pulls along and there is Kristine Ott yelling "we are RTB too" and a small conversation occurred on the highway. Who knew that RTB reached 2700 miles outside of Washington? The good thing was it was the kick that needed to get my F5 butt home. Kristine mentioned she spotted that F5 across my rear


Kristine:

So my family and I are on vacation in Maui. We come here often, it's really a beautiful place. We were driving back to our condo after a day of shopping and I am in awe of all the bikes on the road and I mention to Mike how cool it would be to bike here. Then up ahead I notice someone riding in aero and point it out to Mike, "Hey look, there is a tri-bike!!!" Feeling very excited!! As we pass this rider what do we see??? A big F5 on her butt! She is wearing RTB tri shorts. What the heck? We pull along beside her and it's none other than Cheryl Isberg. How cool is that. The next day we enjoyed a 5 mile run together along the north shore of Maui.

And rumor has it that Brad Williams will soon (256 hours and counting down) be seen in Maui in full RTB gear. Could you be next?

No comments: