Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Michelle's 70.3 Race Report

MessageMessage

Michelle’s 70.3 Worlds Race Report (second writing because I was too brain dead to save the first one and the computer died just before finish line)

I “thought” I was going into this event with the attitude that I would just “enjoy myself and be happy to even be here.” Wed. morning the girls and I went out for a short run before going to the bike shop and picking up our bikes. I had to have a flat fixed before I even left the shop. Glad it blew standing in the store instead of half way to the hotel. That afternoon we went for our first ocean swim. It was a bit windy and waves were bigger than we would have liked. But I was actually looking forward to learning something new. I had swam in Lake W. several time when it was pretty choppy so I wasn’t super nervous. It was actually easier than I expected since the swells were big and took you with them instead of bouncing across the smaller ones. Thank you all for the tips you sent, sighting on top of the waves, long slow strokes, water to rinse the salt out of our mouths, they were all helpful. The salt taste could have been quite a shock, had we not been warned. I quickly had to learn to swim with my mouth shut or risk vomiting when the water hit the back of my throat. We survived and actually went back for more first thing Thursday morning. This time the water was great. Nice and calm. We had decided to attend the swim clinic. I thought we would get all sorts of great tips for rough conditions but it was really more of what we have heard several times. So when he told us to make sure we keep our head down, I didn’t think much of it. I knew I didn’t have perfect position but thought it was ok. We headed out to swim about half the course and by 5 minutes in I had a kink in my neck from it being so high in the water. It didn’t occur to me that buoyancy was an issue for that, duh. It only got worse through out the day. After our swim we went out on our bike for about an hour. The sun felt so good on my back. I am not looking forward to our wet season. Friday morning the kink was still there, so after our prerace meeting, I went for a massage. It wasn’t completely gone but it was better.

Race Day- I woke up feeling good. Not nervous or over confident. Just looking forward to the race and enjoying it. With everything set in transition we headed down to the water. I thought Thursday was great but this was perfect. I almost couldn’t wait to get in the water. I started an hour and ten minutes after the pros, so I would have to wait. The “reality” that this is a big deal finally hit me when two helicopters hovered overhead for the race start. It was an amazing scene but thankfully it didn’t freak me out. I was still here to enjoy it all. Pro men off, pro women off, then it was Karen’s turn. It was really neat to be able to stand right there in the water and watch it all. With Karen in the water it was time for Kathy to leave and warm up. After Kathy was off, I warmed up and headed for my coral. Feeling good, I knew if I could stay calm for the first couple hundred yards, I would be fine. The swim was amazing. I started towards the left, found a hole and away I went. I didn’t really know how I was doing but it felt really good. Only a couple of swells on the way out and a few on the way in. No problem. Through the showers, wet suit stripped and on to T1. I was a little nervous about the “clean” transition area but I had gone over it in my head several times and felt pretty good with it. I grabbed my bike bag and headed for the tent. The volunteers were great. I dumped my bag and the gal opened my water for me while I put my shoes on. She grabbed my race belt and put it on me while I took a drink and told me to leave my wetsuit and she would take care of it. I grabbed my helmet and glasses and off I went. I didn’t realize just how well my swim went until I got to my bike and the rack was still really full. But that was short lived as about 10 gals passed me on the bike before mile 7. But still just enjoying myself and happy to be here. At mile 7.9 to be exact, I got a flat tire. My first flat in any race. No big deal, as I was still in that, “I’m just going to enjoy this” mindset. The flat was probably a good thing as my hamstrings were not real happy but afterwards they didn’t bother me again. So, off the bike to fix the flat. I didn’t rush as I didn’t want to fumble and drop things. It went as well as I could have imagined. No problem getting the tire off and on. When I had the wheel back on the bike, I decided that it needed more air. So I fixed that and I was on my way with a few “good jobs” from some spectators. So on my way, thinking, I’m getting passed a lot but my average was a little above the 20 mph I had wanted, so I’m ok. Then I realized I had not checked the tire for whatever gave me that flat. Said a quick prayer that it would be ok and left it at that. Enjoying the temp. when I looked over to see a motorcycle on the left of the lane. The guy on the back asked if I would come over and talk to them. I thought it was an official and that I was in trouble for something. I couldn’t imagine what it was for. There were a few people in front of me but I was in no way drafting. Then he asked me a question and I realized it was the media. I was relieved and talked to them for a bit. Then was on my way again. As I was looking at the hill in the distance I saw someone on the course on what looked like a mountain bike. I thought “how do you get here on a mountain bike?” Then I realized that it was Dick and Rick Hoyt. Feeling inspired at how hard Dick was working to get up that hill, I just told them they were great and kept going. Almost in tears, I told myself to pull it together and get going. At about mile 40 a slight wind kicked up. Not really a big deal but I felt myself slow down. Then I thought of Brian and Nancy (at Kona) and realized this was nothing. I also realized that I don’t feel the need to do an Ironman because on the far out chance that I may qualify for Kona, I would feel obligated to go and I don’t think I really want to do that. I’ll decide that one later. So as I come to the end of the bike and having watched my average drop while not really feeling overworked or any good reason for it I am beginning to feel a bit disappointed. Which is where the first sentence of the report comes from. I guess I just know I could have done better and it bothers me. So into T2, I get off my bike and hand it to another wonderful volunteer to rack for me. I feel so free, running in bare feet, no bike to worry about anymore, the air is warm. I look for my run bag and do not see it, then, right before my eyes it appears in the hands of another volunteer. Did I run by it and she realized and grabbed it for me or did she know I was coming and have it ready. I’m really not sure but it worked. So off I was to the tent again. I dump my bag and as I put on my socks and shoes, I here the word sunscreen on the other side of the tent. I holler “yes please” and magically someone is applying sunscreen to my shoulders. I feel so pampered. (How ironic that I chose to read The Red Tent for my travel book) She hands me my water bottle and gently pushes me towards the door. I take a minute to walk towards the run start as I drink my water. A little hesitant to leave this transition area where my wish is there command. Where they do what needs done with out being asked. Then I hear a spectator cheer me on and I realize I am alone and they will not run for me, so run I must. On goes my visor and I am off for the run. I see my support crew. Will, Uncle Al and friends. I tell them of my flat and down the road I go. I see Kathy on her way in as I go out. I holler and wave. My legs transition well and I realize that the perfect temp. on the bike may not be perfect for the run. So when I see sponges at the aid station, I decide to make them a part of my uniform for the remainder of the race. Up the causeway I go for the first of four times. I am determined not to walk at least the first two times. Down I go, hoping to get some momentum going to the pace I hope to hold. I am about 15 seconds behind the pace I want. Then I see an amputee sitting on the curb drying his leg and I am back to being “just happy to be here”. So on I go, not really able to get to the pace I want but well under my worse case goal. As I get close to the end of my first loop, Will says that Karen is only about 100 yards in front of me. For a couple of seconds I think I will pick it up and catch her so I can give her a “you go girl” shout before she finishes. Then I think, that’s not going to happen so I slow down again. Around the turn I go to loop two and feel confident that I will make it. Not that I was concerned but you just never know. My last trip over the causeway, I hardly look up to see how far it is to the top, it doesn’t matter, I will not walk. Then I see Rick (our names are on our numbers) in a wheel chair, working hard. I tell him he’s doing great and on I go. It’s not far now, just under two miles as I head down the other side, I am in my own world enjoying the view when I hear an “on your left” here comes Rick. Had I not seen how hard he was working on the way up I may think “no fair” but I just think how great it is that he is out here at all. As I head in the last hundred yards my girls are waiting to cheer me in. Then there is Will on the other side. Sooo glad to be done. Not the time I had hoped for but still better than my qualifying time, so can I really complain.

Yes, I have complained, feeling like I didn’t take full advantage of the opportunity. I’m not really sure what happened on the bike but in the end it doesn’t really matter. I love this sport and have to remind myself that being able to participate in it is what really matters.


No comments: