Monday, November 10, 2008

70.3 World’s Half Ironman Race Report: Kathy Morrisson



This report should actually start on Sunday, July 5 when I participated in my first Half Ironman at Lake Stevens. At Lake Stevens, I finished fourth in my age division which earned me a slot to the 70.3 Ironman World Championship in Clearwater, Florida. By paying my race fee on the spot at Lake Stevens with Karen Nolting and Michelle Fjetland, I accepted that slot.

So fast forward to November 4 when Karen, Michelle, Michelle’s husband Will and I left Seattle for Clearwater, Florida. We spent the next few days trying out ocean swimming, getting our bikes, doing some easy training, organizing our tri stuff and sightseeing.

Race day was Saturday, November 8. We got up early and walked to the race venue. We had already racked our bikes and put our race bags onto the hooks the day before. The only thing we could do on race morning was to go to our bike to check tires and to add fluids and nutrition. Nothing could be on the ground at our bikes everything was in race bags hanging in a second transition area.

I went to my bike and asked one of the bike technicians to fill up my tires. He had trouble with the extender so referred me to the bike tech tent. The bike tent technician had no problem with the extender BUT did break the valve screw off the second tire but said it would not be a big deal. But as soon as he took the pump off, the tube deflated, so he changed my tire. So with that all fixed, I re-racked my bike and left transition.

As I was leaving transitition, I ran into my Uncle Al who had come from Seattle to watch me. He has friends that come to the Clearwater area in the winter and they invited him down to visit and watch the race. One of his friends, Mona had done the race the year before and was great to talk to prior to the event. Uncle Al has always been a big support person through out my life so it was great to have him there.

Karen was the first of us to start, so after meeting up she took off for her start. Michelle and I went down to the water with our support crew and watched the pro men and women start. Then we watched Karen’s group start and then I warmed up in the water.

Before I knew it, it was time for me to get in my swim corral. My corral slowly moved up through a series of corrals until we were at the start line. We had a few seconds to walk to the water and get wet again then we went back onto the beach for the start. Besides the count down by the announcer, a loud cannon goes off at the start of each swim wave. I decided to start on the outside as I do not like to be hit or get into a big group.

So off went the cannon and I was running into the water as far as I could until it was deep enough to swim. It was a very polite crowd and I settled right into my stroke. After all my concern about swimming in the ocean and in a large group, I have to say the swim went off without any problems. There were a few rollers in the middle of the course, going out and coming in but they were fairly easy to deal with. Coming out of the water was a big relief after so much worry. I then ran up the beach through the shower. I was thrown onto my back and two girls grabbed my ankles and pulled off my wetsuit. Someone else grabbed me by hand and pulled me up, handed me my wetsuit and I was off to get my blue bike bag.

I grabbed my blue bike bag, ran into the changing tent and had a volunteer asking me if I needed any help, handing me water and taking care of putting my wetsuit and goggles into the bag. Then I was off to find my bike.

Out of the bike transition and onto the course went well. I think this is the first race that there was not someone yelling to mount. We just went to a line and got on. The ride is one loop of 56 miles of city riding. The entire course is marked with orange cones about 4-5 feet apart from each other. We had an entire lane to ourselves. It seemed that the entire Florida police force was out directing traffic. If I was a resident in the area, it would have been a good day to stay home! The ride was warm but not uncomfortable.

The course is fairly flat but you do start by going over a Causeway (bridge to us) that is a little bit of a climb. They advertise it as a 12% grade but it did not seem very steep and was an easy climb. During the race, I was happy to find some other slight hills. I was with a rider from Colorado (Jodi) most of the bike race and could pass her on the hills. She claimed that they found every hill in Florida. Boy I just love hills!

During the ride, big groups of mostly men would go by (drafting like crazy), they were kind of scary but also exciting to have go by. I did not even try to go with them just stayed in my zone. I even made it through a water exchange with one of those big groups- quite an experience for someone new to the bottle exchange on the fly.

Jodi and I rode all the way into Clearwater together. Sometimes her in front and other times I was in front. We did have a girl riding a pink bike with pink rims around us. At one time I said to Jodi, as one of us was passing the other, that it just did not seem right to let her beat us. She laughed in agrement and we both made it our mission to keep Miss Pink behind us.

Coming into transition, I had both Jodi and Miss Pink behind me, though Jodi got off the bike right after me. Again there was no one yelling dismount, just a line and our desire to get the heck off the bike. I have to say the bike went smoothly- I did well on my drinking (3 bottles in 2 ½ hours), the salt tablets went down well though note to self, do not put them in your bento box on their own- they get kind of messy) and even got in 2 gels and 2 powerbars.

After grabbing the wrong color bag for run transition, taking 2 steps and realizing it, I was off to the changing tent to throw on my running shoes. Again a volunteer met me at the tent and took care of m bike gear, got sunscreen on me and handed me water.

I heard Jodi yell go get ‘em Kathy as I left the tent. It was getting warm so I decided to take a nice smooth pace that felt slightly uncomfortable and see what happened. By the time I hit the first aid station at ½ mile I was really hot and ready to drink and pour water over my head. They also had lots of wet, cold sponges to use and I happily grapped those too. (But I did make the mistake of also getting water in my shoes so got to slosh my way around the course.)

The first two miles is spent getting to the Causeway, going over it and down it. This is on pavement out in the open sun, the next mile is road and then onto a trail and through a neighborhood. Then you are going back to the Causeway- over and down again for a 3 mile loop. This loop is done twice. While I am not a big fan of loops, this worked out great for me mentally to break up 3 miles out, 3 miles back and then repeat.

I used every aid station, Gatorade for my mouth and water for my head and sponges at every station. (Of course in true Morrisson fashion some of the Gatorade ended up on my body too). I could really tell that the water and sponges were keeping me cool as right before each station, I would start to feel hot again, then fine after. I saw Karen and Michelle during the run as there is so much looping. It was great to get to see them and know that all was going well for them. I saw my Uncle and Will when I was coming back on loop 1.

At about mile 5.5 (and 11) they had a sign set up and would put your number and name on it plus some positive comment. I missed my name the first time through but the second time it read “907 K. Morrisson Good Job”. I have no idea why but that was really cool. About the same time I saw the Hoyts coming in on the bike. Both of these things gave me the push I need for those last few miles.

With about ¾ mile or less left, I saw my Uncle and he said I had 7 minutes to go under 5 hours. My goal was 5 hours so I picked it up to what felt like pretty fast clip. Must have looked like it to the spectators cause I got lots of calls of “looking good”. Before I knew it I was rounding the corners and could see the Ironman arch and then the finish line. I was finished.

In the end, I finished at 4:57… 29th out of 67 in my age group. I was happy with my race- things had gone smoothly and I was done.

I have to say that training for this event from July to November was a very draining experience. You must remember that I started training in January for Lake Stevens and a Marathon. I did take a week off after Lake Stevens but the training did get to me. I did hit every workout on my plan. I did not always hit the intensity listed but I did make it happen. I am very thankful for the opportunity to compete at 70.3 Worlds. I am thankful that I got to train with Karen and Michelle and have this experience with them. And I am thankful for the support of family, friends and RTB… and Patty’s fast wheels and helmet.

I got to be treated like a pro for a day. You cannot beat that!

3 comments:

Maria Rippo said...

WOW, Kathy, you are such an inspiration!!! I'm so glad you wrote this for everyone to be able to "experience" the race with you. Keep it up!
Love -
Maria Rippo

Uncle Al said...

Yep it was a very inspirational day. I have watched my niece since she was little running cross country. This was the best.

Michelle, Karen, and Kathy all had good days, though Michelle unfortunately experienced a flat which slowed her down. Their facial expressions went from "looks of concern" at the start to "smiles" at the finish.

This is a very professionally run well supported event.......better than Ironman Hawaii per my friend Mona.

Uncle Al

Mona said...

Good job Kathy! We enjoyed being a part of your day. No doubt we will meet again at some tri or other. So what's next? An Ironman perhaps??!! Mona aka tri-granny