Friday, May 09, 2008

Teresa Moffatt's PRE-RACE Report for the San Diego Marathon


The San Diego Marathon is June 1, 2008.
Today's date is May 9, 2008.
This is one of the greatest posts we've ever posted....read on. Leave Teresa a comment if you like it....


Ask anyone and they will tell you, race reports are written AFTER the race…so why do I feel compelled to start my marathon race report now?

I think there are two key reasons:

1.) I want an honest report which is not influenced by the outcome
2.) I am excited and can’t think about much else but this race

I want to share how I feel about this race, now before I run, walk, or crawl it - right now it is a strange amalgamation of excitement, terror, confusion, adrenaline, and fate.

How will I feel? How will I do? Will I finish? Will I survive? Will I cry? All of these questions will be answered on June 1st, and I have heard so many people talk about hitting the wall at mile 20 and that scares me. I probably took this on too early in my training, I didn’t have enough of a base, I didn’t run enough, I don’t run fast enough…all stuff running through my head right now. But…I also feel strangely calm about it, like whatever is meant to happen is just sitting out there, waiting for me to come find it…my destiny with my first marathon! However it is written in the end, I can promise you this…I am not sorry I am doing this. My training didn’t go as planned, I didn’t lose as much weight as I wanted…blah, blah, blah, now is my time whether I like it or not. The calendar didn’t wait for me to be ready, and June 1st is looming a few short weeks away and I cannot change that.

Is this the biggest day of my life? No, of course not, but it just might be the biggest day in my growth as an athlete and the person I am slowing becoming.

I will let you know how it all turns out, good or bad…and don’t worry I am ok with not even finishing in my allotted 7 hours. I plan to enjoy the ride and learn from the experience, whatever is waiting out there for me to learn – I know I will get it!

One last thing…a marathon can’t really kill you…right?

6 comments:

Tina Coleman said...

I love it, every word of it. You are an athlete and an inspiration to everyone, especially me. We started this journey of triathlon together and look where you are today, you're going to do a MARATHON. I am so proud of you, your fate awaits you! And no, it won't kill you, it will only make you stronger...

cathylee said...

No, Teresa, the marathon won't kil you, it will give you a HUGE accomplishment in your athletic pursuits AND you get a medal!! By writing this you reassured me that we all share the same fears that fill our heads. Your calmness may be because you are running right through those fears! I look forward to hearing about THE DAY!!!

Anonymous said...

You Rock Teresa!! I can't wait to hear about the race and thanks for sharing how you are feeling about it now. We will all celebrate with you when you finish and you can give us all advice as we train for Portland (and beyond!!).
Keep on Running!
Lindy

Shaun said...

This is why we sign up for races because whether we're ready or not we're committed. I know you've had a rough first half of the year with being sick, crazy at work, etc., and you didn't give up. You've hung in there and kept that commitment. I admire your strength and perserverence to not quit. You are an inspiration to me.

You've got the fitness level to finish the race on time. You just have to believe it. Remember it takes 12 positive thoughts to wipe out just one negative thought. Have your affirmations handy and truly enjoy this moment. Live in this moment so you can recall every detail and report back to us.

You are already a winner by stepping on that starting line and having the courage to take on this challenge. This is going to be a life changing experience for you that you can use in every aspect of your life. It takes guts to take that step into the unknown and tackle it. I'm so proud of you!!!! Congratulations on your achievement!!! We love you, Teresa!!!

The Young Family said...

Awesome post, and very true! I think it is the reason I have to sign up and put my money on the line way before the race cuz then I know I am doing it! You will do awesome! You will do great! Crawl, run or walk you will be on that starting line, with that you have accomplished more than many ever dare to! Please know that all my positive thoughts are with you so when you think you can't go on (if the wall does hit) think of me with my bright coat with you - that should help you go atleast a mile!? We are all with you. Em

Stacee said...

Hi Teresa,
I am so proud of you. You have always been someone I have looked up to and admired. You always bring it to the next level no matter what you are doing. Your dedication to this race will make it all worth it in the end. I look forward to seeing you at the finish line :)

I love You,
Stacee