Monday, May 14, 2007

Tacoma Marathon Report - Ann Sloan


Ann Sloan is the keeper of RTB's Calendar, and on the cover of Outdoors NW May/June 07 issue. She is a delightful, determined athlete and her Tacoma 1/2 Marathon report is right here. Congratulations, Ann!!
What a GREAT Race!!! I didn't know I'd get to see so many people I'd recognize, what FUN. I think I saw at least 15 people I knew...of course it helped to wear the wonderful - RUN FOR YOUR LIFE Shirt. GO RTB!!!! :)

I had a PR at 2:23 which is 10 minutes faster then my prior best!! And I felt wonderful, which is amazing after some of my aches and pains over the last few months. :)

I left my house at 5AM went to Starbucks of course for my pre-race Green Tea Latte! :) Met my girl friend Lisa in Factoria to do carpool down to the race. We made it and got FREE parking through another friend who called to let us know where to park.

very little pre-race porta potties lines! WHOO HOO! Now I can run....whew and we needed to run soon as the wind made it a bit chilly. Saw Neely before the race, got a pre race hug and well wishes for both of us Fun to see folks...saw a couple of other folks, recognized faces, but not names.

Race started on TIME, but we weren't sure where the actual start line was....they didn't have mats or the typical clock at the start....so I just started my watch anyway. The first mile was good then we started up hill. Stephanie and Lisa (I think?) ran past me saying "HI, I thought that was you, Ann." :) When I past mile 1 at 11:38, I thought...it's gonna be a good day....

Mile 3 chatted with a gal that lives 1 mile away from the course. Found out this was her 6 1/2 mary and she has done 2 full marathons in honor of her husband. He is a leukemia survivor and her two runs have been through TNT to celebrate his 5th and 10th year anniversary of being cancer free! If that doesn't motivate you, don't know what will. She was a run / walker so we stayed together a bit, then I went on my way....she was thinking about bailing close to her house as she had the flu bug earlier in the week........

There were photographers ....so of course I yelled to everyone to smile...and I did my trademark thumbs up! Gotta look good for the cameras. :)

I was on my own for while and at mile 5, I actually hit 10:48 - yippee....keep it up. The views were glorious, I did look a few times. About mile 6 I caught up to a Raise the Hope Gal and cheered her on for a bit. Did quick intros, so I met Shaun! She looked good.

This was also when we saw folks starting back....the first man...few more then the first woman. I cheered each one of them. Saw Luis on the over pass and gave him a hand slap.....Saw Lisa, my carpool buddy, and cheered her on. Also, saw Ruth looking strong on her way back....saw Stephanie again too. I kind of like those kind of races - get to see and cheer at everyone. I really did love this part of the run...I had hit that runners high...cause I was really having fun...smiling all the way.....

Rebecca was holding traffic for us as well as Melissa! they rock! Saw Shaun again and cheered her too. Also saw the woman who was going to bail out, so I yelled, good for you for hanging in there! Great to see her smile. I can tell I had a great time during the phase of the run because all my lap times were between 10:25 - 10:36, which is fast for me. ;) Saw a gal with a prosthetic leg and we exchanged smiles....and keep it ups....did that with lots of folks. Had several of those moments where I thought, this is so cool, being out here, no rain, running and feeling good. Good music helped too...like Suddenly I see (KT Tunstull), Pour some sugar on me, and Little less conversation....
Yea, sappy I know, but I really do this for fun and finishing. If no one cheers it's just not as much fun to me! I encourage others because it encourages me and keeps me going and feeling happy! One smile from another competitor is worth it to me! That's what we are out there for, right....

Was doing pretty good on the way back.....mile 11 was all up hill I think and whew...was feeling ok, but the legs were getting tired and a bit heavy. Luckily, Ted Nugent, Stranglehold came on my IPOD....great hill climbing song. Then ready, steady go! OK almost there....mile 12.

Mile 12 I did with two ladies - for one gal it was her FIRST 1/2 Marathon. They were fun - Maggie and Julie. Maggie blamed Julie for roping her in and Julie blamed Maggie! Their goal was to finish 2:20.....when I heard that...I said, COOL - I am going to hang with you two.......but there were still more hills so I didn't think we'd make the 2:20 mark....

We started up on little hill and Maggie asked the volunteer, is this the last hill ?? The volunteer said, yes I think so....Whew Maggie said....then we turned the corner and ran a block only to turn and see another little hill.....and again Maggie asked...is this the last hill....this volunteer said...yep. That's when I shouted....That's what the last volunteer said....up we went....and yep, there was another little hill...................AND THEN it was Mile 13 marker...WHOO HOO, I am going to have a PR, off I ran. I was so excited I left Maggie and Julie behind.......

I headed to the finish line and gave a high five to a co worker from Starbucks who had finished the race before me...then I saw my sister and nephews cheering me on....and the clock said: 2:23 !!! As I was getting my timing chip off Maggie and Julie came and I congratulated both on their accomplishment!

I will definitely do the race again next year. It was a challenging course, but thought it was well balanced though the hill climbing on the last two miles was tough - my hr was in the 170s, but I survived and was happy I did hill work. The course markings were great and the volunteers were wonderful.

Thanks to Heather, Melissa and Rebecca for volunteering ! I think most of you are mom's and it's GREAT you gave up your day to be out there!!! I am sure there were more of you, but my brain goes a bit blank sometimes!

~Ann - A very happy runner 5/13/07

No comments: