Monday, May 21, 2007

Angela Meek's Tacoma 1/2 Marathon Race Report

On May 13th I ran my second ½ Marathon. Going into the race I had set three potential goals. The first and the lowest goal was to beat my time in the Seattle ½ Marathon (3:14:55), the second was to do it in 3:09 which was a predicted time off of my fastest race this year, and my third goal – which I really though I had no chance and was my pie in the sky goal was to be under 3 hours.

It was just about perfect weather – cold at the start line but perfect once moving. The wind was a bit much in a few spots but mostly it was a great day. In the week before I had pinched a nerve in my foot that was hindering me from running without a great amount of pain. My doctor wrapped it really tight to relieve the pain from the pinched nerve and game me some anti inflammitory's to take. So, with a very tightly tapped foot I hit the start line after a short warm up and stretching.

I really hate the start – way to much time to think, wonder, and I just don’t like being cold. The race was well marked and as usual full of some really great people. At about 2 miles in I could feel the tape was hurting my foot. I was hoping it would stop but it just got worse. I thought about stopping to remove it but knew if that nerve acted up I would never finish. I also knew it would take me time to get it off and I did not want to waste it. I made my mind up – it is just pain – just run. And I did.

I had a pace calculation in my pocket – I keep checking and was on the pace for my second goal. About 3 miles in I noticed my pace had gotten a little faster. At 6 I realized I was on pace for my pie in the sky goal. At that moment I decided to really go after it. Mile 7-11 were fairly flat. I was getting tired but I just kept that goal in mind. My foot was killing me and so was my opposite hip but I pushed through it and tried to focus on other things.

At mile 11 – I new it was going to be close and I just went into total focus mode to get it done. The hill at 11 – had me scared – I did not want to lose the time – so I really pushed it. I hit mile 12 1/2 and decided I was giving it all for the last ½ mile. (I have never has anything left in me at the end of even a 10k or a 15K but this time I found it and went for it – when I rounded the corner I saw the clock and saw it still said 2:59 – I gave it a little more and crossed at 2:59:51. I was so happy. I have a heck of a blister from the tape – I went to first aid and they worked on it for about 10 min – so 3” x 1” blister, but worth it.

The best part for me was accomplishing something I thought I could not do (my time) and that this time I felt so much better than I did at the Seattle. At Seattle by mile 10 I was done and wanted to quit. This time I was tired and had to push but mentally I did so much better. About mile 10 this time I realized – hey – I am an athlete now – I ran a race (13.1 miles) in pain and I did it well and I got my new PR by 15 min and 4 sec. I did not quit. I have been working hard on using positive affirmations in this area and its working

I have learned so much from triathlons and running this last year. Yeah sometimes there is pain, some physical and some mental, but as long as you don’t quit, and you keep moving you win. If you quit that is forever, pain is only a temporary thing at it will go away. I have learned a lot about how to fight through. The 345lb me would not have done that, but the ½ of me that is left is learning to take things on and to not let things like pain, for whatever reason, derail me from my goals.

I leave every race a stronger more determined person and so thankful for the wonderful people I have meet on this journey.

No comments: