Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Unpredictable Weather and Whether or not athletes are predictable....


It's sunny out right now and I've been content staying inside during all of today's daylight hours. (I did run with Mary Hanna's group at 6AM). I let the dog out once and stood in the doorway, but otherwise, I've been here at my desk clicking away at the keys of my Compaq.

The last two days,however, while the Seattle area has been showered with...showers....I had a hard time staying in. I ran a fun 8 miles in a constant downpour - soaked through before I got to the end of my street. I've done 2 cyclocross rides with my studly son and neighbor on trails that had far more standing water than dry land. The whole time I was wet and dirty (and warm) through every layer. It'll be a long time before I forget those workouts.

I've been asking around to my friends and fellow athletes about their workout adventures the last couple of days. There have been a lot of the usual fall reports of spin classes and treadmill runs and trips to the pool. Good for them for staying at it. An occasional story has surfaced, though, about knee-deep wading on the Lake Youngs Trail, or a Bike ride through a flooded stream. These stories are told by athletes who's eyes and inflections tell a story of adventure realized in their near-flooded neighborhoods.

The Seattle area soil is slowly taking up all that water, and I find myself a bit sad about the lack of rainfall today - but there's sure to be more and I'll be looking for some friends to train with!!

Now let's get out there.....

No comments: