Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Mary Hanna's Seattle 1/2 Marathon report

My Seattle Half Marathon Report 2006

Short version: 1:27:52, 5th woman, 2nd master behind former Olympic gold medalist Joan Benoit Samuelson.

Long version:I was "training through" this race. I need to focus on speed for Club Cross Country Nationals on December 9th, without totally giving up my long run training for the Rock and Roll Marathon in Arizona. That meant that this was not a week for me to rest up and race fresh. My very achievable goal was a sub 1:30.

Before leaving my house, I noticed that it started snowing and blowing outside, so I left 15 minutes earlier than I had planned. On the way, it turned to snow mixed with rain, then a cold, lumpy rain. I got to the race in plenty of time to get good parking, see Angela, Jodi, and Shaun, warm up, use the bathroom, and decide what to wear.

As I was having a Gu at the start, about 5-10 minutes before the gun, a KING 5 TV guy asked if he could ask me some questions. I agreed, and he asked me my name and home town, then he asked about the weather conditions and such. I didn't think they would put me on TV, because many of my answers were one or two words. They apparently liked one of my answers, and I was on the local NBC affiliate for every newscast that day. Basically, they took a quote where I said that this was my ninth consecutive year, and we had had nice weather for the last few years, so it was time for something like this, but that it would be fine. My little 15 seconds. :)

Once the race started, things sorted out early. I don't think I passed, or was passed by, a woman after about the first 5K. I saw Joan Benoit Samuelson go by me in the first mile, and I knew I wouldn't make first master - darn. There isn't prize money at Seattle, but one year for being the first master, I won a very nice set of stainless steel barbecue tools and utensils in a briefcase that was engraved "First Place Women Master Seattle Half Marathon 2004" or something like that. They don't seem to announce the overall prizes in advance, so it's always a surprise. Age group awards go 10 deep in 5 year age groups, and they are acrylic paperweights with this year's logo - a nice momento.

I didn't think the weather was as bad as it could have been. I didn't have any trouble with wind, which could have made things miserable. I wore shorts, a short-sleeved Underarmor, long-sleeve light weight running shirt, vest, gloves, and beanie. I was glad to see that Joanie was very similarly attired. I saw one gal in a singlet and gloves, no hat even.

I hit the halfway mark in 45:15 or so, and thought I wouldn't even break 1:30. I ran the Yakima River Canyon Marathon last spring with a friend who was pacing me. With 10K to go in that race, I needed to go under 45:00 to achieve a sub-3 hour marathon. He said that I could run a 45 minute 10K in my sleep and that I might as well hurt a little. Those words reverberated in my head, and I decided to "hurt a little" and picked it up.

The last 5K, I was thinking that given the conditions, it was good practice for cross country, and with no other women in sight, I pushed it for the training value. I even quit trying to avoid the puddles after a while and splashed right through them, enjoying the fact that at the age of 45 (yikes), I can run in the rain and splash through puddles with abandon. What a blast! I finished in 1:27:52, a little slower than last year, but I placed higher. I was the 5th woman, 2nd master, a minute and 5 seconds behind Joan. I changed into a complete set of dry clothes soon after the finish and hung around watching the marathon finishers and visiting, then five friends and I went out for beer and pizza.

I love the Seattle half. I have run it for 9 consecutive years. It has become part of my Thanksgiving tradition, my reward for all the housework and cooking. The weather is usually pretty nice, although the official forecast is sometimes iffy. Even this year, I expected more wind. It was not my favorite running weather, but I dressed appropriately and was fine. What a great way to wrap up a four day weekend, especially one that involves some extra eating. :)

1 comment:

The Young Family said...

Saw your official time in the printed results pamphlet that was sent out after the race - wow what an accomplishment... I think I was in the 600's somewhere. Congrats. My goal next year (am I crazy to do it again?) would be to shave 15 minutes off my time. First 1/2 marathon... I was a little slow! But I did it.