Sunday, November 28, 2010

Brian Guillen's Half Marathon Report...

Great report, Brian.  Totally applicable, I think, to anyone who has run in a dark, lonely place – no matter what your pace is.  RTB is proud of you!!!  And proud of all our finishers today.  J 

GREAT Day!!

Ok.  I'll make it quick as it is 8:20 and is bedtime for this old geezer...

Lined up directly at the front of the 3000 competitors and looked around for NJ (….Nick Johnson – fellow RTBer) who was nowhere to be seen.  Gun went off and so did my plan for starting out with a 6:20 pace.  After a half mile I looked at my Garmin and I was already sub-6 (5:30) and running with the Club Northwest runners.  So I slowed a bit and let them pull ahead.  I maintained a 5:50-6:00 for the first 3 miles and was running alone in between two primary groups.  I could also see that the elite group ahead was already starting to split.  

At mile 3 I bridged up to a splinter group and ran with them for the next several miles.  At the halfway mark I had averaged a 6:05 pace.  I had dropped a few in the group that I bridged up to as the course started to head upward.  After the first hill my legs tightened up significantly, then loosened back up as the course flattened out.  Then a series of several stair-step hills continued to take their toll on my quads and calves.  By mile 9, the feeling of looseness was only a romantic and very distant memory.  At this point I was surprised that the course still had elevation gain considering that I was still in Seattle.  I didn't know Seattle proper had such cruel elevation.  

At mile 10, I slowed significantly and lost a couple of spots.  I was in a dark, lonely place and was running alone.  I was trying to latch on to the back of each person that passed which was a good tactic.  It helped psychologically, compared to letting them just run away.  I NEEDED someone to help me through this trying time.  Finally I latched on to the back of this kid that was running 6:15's and used him for the last two miles.  He finally pulled away with a half mile left.  Two more came by me as they had a final kick.  Turned into the stadium and was thankful that the course was not longer since I was quickly going backward by this time.  Final time was 1:22:47.  My garmin showed a 6:15 average pace and a 13.3mile run.  Adjusted to a distance of 13.1, the average pace was 6:19/mile.  Finally saw NJ come through as I wandered zombie-like around the stadium field. 

-frig


Posted via email from raisethebar's posterous

No comments: