Thursday, July 22, 2010

Greg Kline's Vineman Half Iron Race Report

As is any Half Ironman race....this report is LONG....

250 meters.....if you read these race reports you might remember my report of the first Tri I did as a 'training partner' with my wife Nicole and the short swim distance at the Elma race a few years ago. My first Tri. Never been a swimmer. Always a Mt biker.

My have things changed. I entered the Vineman 70.3 Half Iron race while on vacation in Mexico last November 1st. I heard it sold out and wasn't about to miss out. Of course it did sell out but not until January...Nonetheless I was in. First Half Iron. A lot longer than that first 250 meter swim in Elma....

Vineman 70.3 is a great event for sure. Its set in Northern California Wine Country. This was the 20th anniversary of the race. It was also my 20th Triathlon since we started doing them in May 2008. I did the training thru the year and took notes, even logging how I felt on certain days and what did or didn't work. I was ready to do this thing.

The Race...

We spent a few days in wine country before the Sunday race as a vacation. So many Vineyards, so little time. Did some wine tasting but kept a low profile and always had a bottle of fluids with me (and no not always wine!!). I had a half-iron race after all...

Morning of the race went smooth. Got to the race start, parked, got into T1 with plenty of time to hear the Pros take off at 630am. My wave went off at 7:50 so plenty of time to relax and watch the others. Got to see Chris Lieto come out of the water. Impressive. He eventually won the race with a 3:54 time. WOW.  Also saw Miranda Carfrae who set the womens' Ironman run leg record last year.

I had more nerves the previous 2 mornings of the race than race morning. It was weird. Friday morning and Saturday morning I was very nervous to the point that I had to force myself to eat. Yikes. But the morning of the race I was excited to get this race on. 6 months of training and racing makes you want to FINALLY experience the  'A' race of the year.

Jumped into the water and it was nice and warm. The swim is out and back in the Russian River. The water is between 4-7 feet deep and you can even walk around the turn buoy. But not me. This is a swim not a walk and I felt good anyway so no reason to walk. After getting whacked in the head twice at the swim start I just found a good pace and swam along. My Friday Night Swim Race 9 days before in Lake Meridian was 40:46 for my first 1.2 mile swim and my time for this swim was 39:06. NICE!  Feeling good and happy to be racing....

T1 was not an issue. Smooth, fast and controlled. Waved at my cheering squad (thanks Nicole, Katie, Cliff ans Susanne!) and ran up the first little hill out of transition. Some people tried to mount their bike and ride up the hill but its not that easy. I ran past a lot of people struggling with it. It pays to read others' race reports and find out some tips. Tip 1 is to RUN up the hill. Done.  On the bike and working my legs into a nice groove. First 5 miles is uneventful except for all the water bottles/gu packs/co2 cartridges on the ground.  The road was rough but I didn't think it was THAT rough. The fun then begins at 5+miles when you head up Westside Road. A lot of short up and down hills with lots of shifting and racing others. A Total Blast.

Then things changed.....

I had driven the course so I knew where the fun and not so fun parts were. Coming up to a fun part where the road takes a right turn, opens up to a valley as the road then goes left and down. I was loving this part until I felt a 'Thunk' and then another 'louder 'Thunk' and my back end of the bike seemed to drop. I then found myself having to stop from speed. Probably hitting 25mph probably higher as I had just dropped a few gears to push the pace. I start to brake and start sliding. Crap I must have a flat...  I was able to stop with out crashing and couldn't believe what I saw. First off my tubular tire was ruined. About a 4 inch gash. I had CO2 cartridges and the foam airfill (but no tire) but I know that would do nothing. I then saw the real problem. My entire wheel had come out of the dropout causing the tire to lock up. (on my Cervelo the wheel comes straight out, it doesnt 'drop' like a standard bike would) I couldn't believe it. I really thought my race was over or at least the bike portion. I was devastated. I couldn't believe it. 40minutes into the bike and Im stuck.  I begin to at least pull the tire off the Zipp wheel in hopes of getting a new tire. While removing it the sag wagon comes by and the mechanic offers help. I ask if he has a tire. NO. Ugg I thought. Another racer had stopped to help as he was having front tire issues and even offered his rear wheel to me since his race was done. I was so excited to get a second chance. The mechanic looked at his bike and fixed the rubbing issue. I couldn't believe it. I was happy for him but then I knew there goes my second chance wheel. Another racer was riding with the sag wagon and was already out herself. She then offered her wheel asking if it would fit. I said I would make a wagon wheel fit if it meant I would finish this race. It did fit and I thanked her. She took my now useless Zipp rear wheel as collateral. I guaranteed to her she would get her wheel back. I got my second chance..........

Getting back on the bike I felt great. I made sure I didn't try to make up the 15+ minutes I lost and rode to my pace I had trained for. The weather was warm and would be topping out at 93 that day. Back on the course making sure I didn't jam on the pedals too much and even coasted more than normal. Its a long hot day...

Taking my S-caps every 30mins, Accellerade, Clif Blocs and Hammer Gel I never felt tired or beat. Just consistent riding. Loved the vineyards that we rode by. There were 3 water stops over the 56 miles which made it nice to have goals to achieve. Like getting to that next orange swim buoy.

Then I felt the second challenge of the day.....

At about the 40 mile mark on the bike I could feel my quads getting tight so I upped my fluid intake and tired to spin the legs out. Eventually when I would try to get out of the saddle they would cramp so I spent the hills seated. Really just figured the spinning would let the legs loosen up and be ready for the run. At mile 45 is the worst hill of the race known as Chalk Hill. Not a killer but at 45 miles it will tax you. Got up that and knew it was pretty much downhill/flat to T2 and then the run....ohyea....the run...

Got into town and saw my cheering squad again and smiled. Waved at the camera and got ready to run hoping my legs would respond.

They didn't. Total cramp. Both Quads. Once into transition I had to stop and actually drop to the ground to stretch them out. I then downed everything I had left on the bike. Gels, accelerade, everything. Finally got up and to my rack. With 2100 racers transition is pretty big. Off to the run and planned to take it real slow so my legs could come back to me. I ended up walking after about 300 yards out of T2. I was pretty down as I really hoped for a better outcome but I knew I could walk. Walking 13 miles seemed like it would take forever. I saw Nicole on the way out and she cheered me on even though she knew I was upset I had to walk. She knows me and what I'm capable of. Walking wasn't in my plan and she knew it. She gave me a quick 'no pouting' comment which did lift me up and got me excited again. If I walk I walk. But I will finish. Not in under 6 hours but I will see that grass finish line.

The cramps never went totally away. I would walk and stretch them out then run a slow shuffle trying not to overwork the Quads. They would eventually get tight again so I would the walk. The run course is pretty hilly and out in the open for most of it. Its now a little after noon and its hot. I knew it would be hot and actually prefer it but would have preferred to be running!!  I took all they had to offer at the water stops. At the turn around I got excited because I was on the way 'home'. Counting the mile markers seemed surreal actually. Others were out there cramping and walking so I certainly wasn't alone. I was eventually able to run the last 1+mile to the finish. I basically 'told' my legs that this was it. 'If you cramp then I will walk but not until I CANT run. And I had no plans of walking the grass finish line.'

I finished in 6hours 24mins. Well past my sub 6 goal but I know what happened and learned from it. Between the 15+minutes lost due to the rear wheel issue and at least 12mins lost to walking I possibly could have hit 5hrs 57mins if not less. I knew I had it in me because once I cooled off after the race I had a lot of energy. I had felt more drained after my Olympic race in Moses Lake 5 weeks earlier. I know the training was there but I just didn't execute a good race.

I thought I had checked my bike. I even had ridden an easy 15 miles on Saturday to stretch the legs and check out part of the course and to shake the bike down. No problems with the bike. So I had no reason to think the bike wasn't ready.

I thought I had taken in enough fluids on the bike. Never felt thirsty. But I still didn't take enough in. I looked at the pictures Nicole took of me finishing the bike. What did I notice first? 2 half empty bottles of Accelerade still on the bike. Half empty. Next time they will be completely empty even if I don't think I need them.....

Its now a few days after the race and Ive had time to look back on the trip. Its a lot of money to do these races. Flights. Hotel. Rental Car. Race entry. Equipment. Everything adds up. Some people have boats. We have Triathlons. Its a bug that I never planned on catching.

Am I disappointed at my race result? of course. It didn't go 'as planned' and I know I could have done better. Will I be doing another Half Iron? HECK YES!  Black Diamond in September. 

And I can guarantee my rear wheel will be secured and checked.  Twice

Posted via email from raisethebar's posterous

No comments: