Friday, October 02, 2009

It's only 250 meters....how hard can it be?......



That was what Nicole, my 'signed-up-for-the-2008-Danskin-in-August' wife told me 3 days before some triathlon in a town called Elma. You see, she signed up for the August event and thought it would be a good idea to 'try a few' before the main event. Even though I was a mtn biker at heart, I supported her goals and I agreed that I would 'train' with her. I had no plan of doing any triathlons. I would just 'train' with her......

So here we are in Elma looking at this large pond that will be our 'swim leg'. Of course we have never done this so we show up with our mtn bikes, some running gear, and NO WET SUITS. Now for those who have done a race in Elma in April or May, you know this is a bad bad thing being without wetsuits. Of the 50 or so people on this Mothers Day weekend, we are the only 2 WITHOUT the seal-looking wet-suits. This might be a bad thing I thought but Nicole did remind me it was ONLY 250 meters.....

Needless to say the water was the coldest thing I have ever endured. I have never swam that 'long' of a distance let alone in a race, let alone with no wetsuit, and let alone in sub-60 degree water. Its ONLY 250 meters.....The humorous part was having to listen to the guy behind us yelling the F-bomb the ENTIRE way thru the swim. I wonder if his wife told him it was ONLY 250 meters.....

We survived and as I waited for Nicole to get out of the water to 'safety' I thought to myself what have I gotten myself into. Once she was out I headed to something called 'transition'. I of course put on the gloves, socks, changed my shirt, you know real important things (read: SLOW). We did manage to finish the bike leg and then the run. Wow. That was tough.

But we liked it.....

Fast Forward 16 months to last Sunday. Last Tri of the year. My second year doing a sport that I had no intention of doing, only to 'train' with Nicole. During the first year doing a sport I had no intention of doing (after buying road bikes, wet suits, tri shoes, etc) and completing 7 triathlons in 2008 (nothing longer than a 400 swim) I was hooked. Each event I was on my back during the swim. I knew I could finish it because I finished 250 meters in Elma.

But Sunday was different. It was an Olympic. Yes I had done 9 Tris this year before-hand but this was a big step. I hear about people who do a few smaller events and then right into an Ironman. That's not my style. I like to work-up to things. This year I apparently am working up to an Olympic I found out. A buddy of mine had suggested it and after my first successful true Sprint Tri in Samish (800m), I signed up for Black Diamond. Problem is it isnt 'just' a 250 meter swim....

While getting ready for this years Triathlons we found RTB and the swimming classes namely the 'swim technique' class. Since we didnt have any kind of 'technique' we thought this was a great idea. Making the trek to Covington on Saturday mornings from Seattle was a good jaunt but to me it was worth it. If it helps us in the water next year then the investment paid off. In the course of doing the swim classes we met a lot of fun and supportive people. Of course Patty was lively and bubbly as usual, but as we got into it we met more people and felt this is a good group. Needless to say we do have our own RTB gear and have fun wearing them, hearing the cheers, and of course cheering on others out there on the course.

Once I got to the park for the Olympic my nerves were pretty calm actually. I liked the course...I can do that swim I thought to myself. Its just 2 loops. I did what I could do without burning myself out in the water and beat my anticipated swim leg time by 6 minutes. Bike was its usual solid leg and the run was good as well. I hadnt ran longer than 5 miles in a single stint before so the 10K would be another first for me.

Overall I was very happy with my effort and enjoyed the last Tri of the season. We are looking at next year already and planning on what events we want to do. Of course being able to be a part of the RTB team is another aspect to look forward too as well. I sure hope to do a better job of meeting and remembering everyones' names. Not sure if Elma will be in our plans next year but hey......its ONLY 250 meters........


J Greg Kline


thanks for reading

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I was in Elma for a race right before they started the triathlon that day... It was insanely cold and I never touched the water. I remember thinking that everyone doing the tri had to be out of there mind. But I guess if it's "only 250 meters" it's okay ;).

Great job at your 1st Olympic!!