Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Kelly Richards Escape from Alcatraz- Year 2

Kelly Richards completed the Escape from Alcatraz in 2008 and did not get enough, so went again in 2009... here is her short report:

Once again I had this notion I would love to do Escape from Alcatraz.

Why is it so alluring?

Maybe it is jumping off a boat in cold rough water?

A 1.5 mile crossing of a river.

Or the basketball size jellyfish I swam over. Four of them.

Where is that current? The waves hit you from the right, but the current is caring you West. Math and directions, not my strong point.

The 3/4 mile run after swim to transition? When you can not feel your legs from knees down or any part of your arms from elbow to finger tips.

18 miles of hills and stomach acid? The rough roads and skinny tires make for a hair raising combination. Let alone the sharp 90 degree turns and the wall.

A 8 mile run up hill with stairs, more stairs, beach, sand ladder and finally a down hill.

3 hours later the finish line is in sight. Feeling like you were in a washing machine and dryer.

One day later and still feeling ill. Thinking I ate a jellyfish!

Sign me up again!

No comments: