Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Phil Kriss's Duathon Race Report (and training details)

This race marked the second race trying my new strategy. For the last few months Chris Blair and I have been sucking our thumbs about how slow we run. We figure we are slow runners because we are bigger than most other triathletes.That proved to be mostly true until this weekend.In January I decided my runs needed to be tougher. Studying my splits and analyzing the data mile by mile, I came to the conclusion I suck in the “dead zone”. For me that is between 16-18 and 20 miles. In order to be better at that, I need to train more in that zone and add 15% more running in 2009. To do that and still have time to increase time swimming and riding, I decided to run 2 days a week (except for the bricks). One tempo run on Wednesdays with the Maple Valley mafia, and Sundays with David “Marathon Diet” Spooner.

I had heard rumors Dave was running the Orting Loop (21 miles) every Sunday he was not racing. So, decided regardless of if he was a jerk or he didn’t like me I would run it with him anyway.

Meanwhile, he heard war stories about the triathlon from me and others that showed up to run. Next thing he owns a bike and a wet suit and shows up to play.

Oh Yeah, the duathlon. That is what this is about…I got some last minute advise on heart rate management from my hero Kent Sizer. I decided to target 160 BPM from start to finish.

8.1 run time: 35:24 or a 6:56 pace! For me Smoking Hot! Heart rate 160+

28.8 mile Ride time: 1:25 or 20.2 MPH. Fair. Heart rate 160+ until I cramped in the middle of the first lap.

I had some difficulty on the ride. I am not sure if it was from my heart rate being too high, or being too cold, or poor nutrition or a combination. Anyway, I cramped on the way up Mud Mountain road and had to slow for about 10 miles to minimize cramping. If my heart rate was below 150 I was fine. I think that slowed me by 3-4 minutes. But, a 20.4 MPH average doing 2 laps up that hill is not bad for a 50 year old old guy.

Second 3.8 mile run time: 28:57 or 7:37. Needs improvement. I got my heart rate back up to 160, and hit 170BPM at the finish.

2:33 was my time. 22nd overall. 2nd in age, but only to the reigning national duathlon champ in my age group. 5th master.

Other Notes: When Chris Blair rides his junky bike, we are pretty much neck and neck except on hills given the same heart rate profiles. His Cervelo P3C is an unfair advantage compared to my POS bike. His 24+ MPH average proved that in my mind J

David Spooner defeated the “big guys can’t run” theory. He ran 6:30s on his first run and 6:40s on his second. Considering he ran the Boston Marathon 6 days earlier, and had completed 4 rides on his new bike as a new biker, and had never done a transition before, his 2:37 time is very impressive. I better learn to run or he will soon be showing me who is boss.

I think my new run in the dead zone strategy is working. 7:37 pace is not that fast but it is improving. Next week is the Tacoma City Marathon. Time to test it again.

Ricky Bobby is right. “I wanna go fast!”

No comments: