Friday, February 08, 2008

A submission by Jim Murphy - RTB's Performance Coach


Performance coach Jim Murphy - RTB's latest resource in training the mind, sent me a great email the other day.... here it is.... I love this stuff....
Jim will be teaching a clinic to interested athletes this spring on getting the most out of ourselves and our experience in sport......in how we give and what we get back. Watch the calendar for details...

Sports Psychologist Doug Newburg writes:
Dawn Staley was one of the best women basketball players in the United States in the 1990s. A two-time National Player of the Year in college, Dawn provided the best description of performance I had ever heard. In fact when I showed others, such as pro football star Howie Long and surgeon Curt Tribble, what Dawn said they both said, “Exactly right! That’s why I do what I do.”

Dawn was a difficult interview… bright but quiet. She grew exasperated with the questioning. She was trying out for the 1996 olympic team soon after I interviewed her. She slammed her fist down on the table and said:

Winning the gold medal is my goal, not my dream. My dream is about playing to win as often as possible with and against the best women basketball players in the world. Winning the gold medal as a goal gives me some direction, but my dream is something I need to live everyday. And I’m doing that each time I play to win… When I’m playing to win, that’s when I feel resonance. If I win, that’s great. I want to win and having the gold medal as my goal forces me to play to win. But what I love to do, what my dream is, is to play to win.

From The Most Important Lesson No One Ever Taught Me, by Sport Psychologist Doug Newburg.

Note from Jim:

The elite athlete has a different perspective than the rest of us. Most athletes get so caught up in winning, they lose sight of why they’re playing, and aren’t able to focus on the process of winning. Dreams are internal… feelings… goals are external… outcomes. You may or may not reach your goal, but the important thing is your inner world. Can you have a peaceful calm while pushing your boundaries? Why are you doing it all in the first place? The elite, I believe, strive, like Dawn says, to live their dreams every day, which means to learn what you really value and how you can live in accordance to those values, and put yourself in that place where you feel resonance.

PS
Dawn and her teammates won the gold in 1996.

Jim Murphy
Performance Coach
Author, Dugout Wisdom: Ten Principles of Championship Teams
http://www.innerexcellence.com/
800-756-3140


No comments: