Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Elizabeth McCarty's Seattle Half Ironman Report

I’m Halfway There!

Just another 13.1 miles to go and I'll be a marathon runner! I NEVER in a million years thought I'd say THAT! I finished the Seattle Half Marathon this morning at 10:30 a.m. - right about the time a lot of people were just getting up! I beat my goal time of 3 hours by a mere 4 minutes. I had to actually sprint (well sprint by MY definition) down the last mile in order to make my goal time. I shouldn't have really put a goal time for my first attempt at long distance running, but I knew that if I didn't, I'd walk at every opportunity. I DIDN'T WALK AT ALL!!!!!!!!! Not even up the numerous hills. The route was gorgeous! PErfect weather - sunny and chilly. When we exited I-90, you could see Lake Washington with a mysterious fog resting gently on the water. Then came the magnificent homes in the Denny Blaine neighborhood in Seattle. Ahhh....to dream! The best part was the run through the arboretum and Interlaken Park. It wasn't even like we were in a city any longer - just a tranquil forest.

This was perhaps one of the coolest things I've ever done - better than bungee jumping or rock climbing! I still love triathlon.....but may have to give a full marathon a shot??! Heck Yeah!
Thank you everyone for your support and well wishes! This was really FUN!

Elizabeth

No comments: