Monday, October 01, 2007

Shaun Linse' Black Diamond Olympic Triathlon

The key phrase that I repeated to myself throughout the race when I started to think about what was ahead was LIVE IN THE PRESENT. It really does work. Every leg of that race was a separate race for me.

During the swim when I felt like I was going to gag twice and started to think about how much farther I had to go, I told myself just concentrate on what you're doing now, keep your head down, long and strong strokes with calm breathing. There was one annoying girl that kept hitting me and I thought this reminds me of when Jodi and I are swimming with just the two of us with no one else around and we still manage to run into each other. When I got out of the lake, I turned to talk to her and it was Jodi. I looked down at my watch and saw it was 34.21, which is my usual swim time, and told Jodi she did awesome. I usually beat her by a couple of minutes. I was happy for her but I'll have to admit I needed to beat her by two minutes in the swim and 10 minutes on the bike so she wouldn't pass me on the run. I had it all figured out and she ruined everything!!! I started spinning ahead and once again said LIVE IN THE PRESENT. This is my race. It's not about beating Jodi. I am on track.

The bike was a big milestone for me. My husband for my birthday bought me aerobars because Angela had them and I have to have what Angela has. She also proved to me how much they work by kicking my butt in sprints on Green Valley Road in the wind. It was amazing. My only problem with my new aerobars is I was afraid to use them. So basically I had a 79.99 water bottle holder. Well again starting off on the bike was extremely hard and I felt tired so I decided to LIVE IN THE PRESENT and assessed my current situation. I could either have a very expensive water bottle holder or use that equipment I had to give me the best advantage I could to have a better, faster race. So I let go of the fear and used the aerobars. The next milestone on the bike was Angela said she wanted me--miss clutch the brakes down the hill--to hit 32 miles an hour down the bigger hill on Kent-Kangley. I did for Angela and I was so proud of myself. The bike was a good experience and I did it in 131.03.

The last leg, the run, which is the hardest for me, my calves did cramp for the first time this year but I kept going and just decided to LIVE IN THE PRESENT and not think about how long I had to run but how I felt at that moment in time. I told myself this has happened before and it shall pass. I just told myself to think loose, light on your feet, and keep the cadence going. Also throughout the run I kept expecting Jodi to tap me on the shoulder and wave bye as she would swish swish by me like she did in our first triathlon together. Well, that didn't happen even though I had a very slow run time of 1:14:38 which is a 12:01 pace.

I finished in 3:26:04 which was faster than my predicted of 3:30 so I was quite pleased.

This year has been quite inspirational for me. I reached many goals that I know I wouldn't have reached without the support of Raise the Hope. I can't even put into words what all your friendship and support has meant to me. I want to thank you all!!!!

Shaun

No comments: