Monday, September 10, 2007

Kathy Morrisson's Black Hill Race Report


Kathy Morrisson's race report for Black Hills Olympic on Saturday, September 8, 2007
3/4 mile swim
30 mile bike
5 mile run

I started my first triathlon season this year with Sprints and felt like I wanted to finish off the season with an Olympic. Marie Hansen was kind enough to suggest the Black Hills as a great event. I checked it out, convinced Karen Nolting that we should both do it and signed up. (Well, to set the record straight Karen signed up first after I suggested it and I figured I better sign up too or she would never run with me again). Matt and I talked the night before what my goals were for the race. I decided it was to swim hard, ride hard and hold on during the run.

I prepared all my stuff on Thursday, double checked on Friday and triple checked Saturday morning. Matt's alarm went off at 5:30 AM and so I got up a half hour earlier then I planned but it gave me extra time. I had my favorite pre-race meal of oatmeal with brown sugar, raisins and milk plus some orange juice. Matt checked my tires, gave me a good luck kiss and left to get a run in before our sleeping children woke up.

I picked up Karen at 6:45 AM and we were off to the race. We followed a Volvo with a tri bike on top and met them at the race. We had no problems finding Millersylvania State Park but did park a little early and walked about a half mile to pick up our packet. We met team member Sean Wittmer and talked with Doris Klein. After checking out the porta potties, we went back to the car and moved it up near the transition area.

Karen and I set up our stuff in transition and talked with Marie Hansen and her sister Jane. The swim is about a 1/4 mile from the transition area with a run on grass, gravel and over a wood bridge. We spent a lot of time trying to decide if we should have shoes to put on after we swam. Karen and I finally decided that we did want them. After a pre-race meeting at 9 AM, all the athletes walked to the swim. We were able to warm up in the water (I think that was the first time it seemed actually possible at a race).

Then it was time for my wave. I was in the second wave. We got into the water and sunk about a foot down into some yucky muck. It seemed like a really long 5 minutes trying not to think about what I was standing in. Finally we got the signal to go, I started on the outside toward the front of the group but soon found myself toward the inside. The start went well with very minimal pushing and shoving. I ended up behind what seemed like the front group and just kept swimming and thinking about finishing my stroke.

I came out of the water, ran to the tree where I had left my shoes, was able to say a quick hi to Marie's husband and started the long run to transition. When I got to transition, I had trouble getting one ankle of my wetsuit off and then my insole of my bike shoe folded up and I had to take that off and fix it, then one of my straps on the other shoe came all the way out. In the meantime I saw Marie and Luis Diaz moving out of transition.

Finally all together, I started biking. The course is one 30 mile loop on asphalt and chip seal roads. It has lots of rolling hills but very little car traffic. And so I just pedaled and tried to keep my speed up. I caught a few females and males and was passed by a few males. I do not have a bike computer so I had no idea where I was in the race, nor did I wear a watch. I saw the 10 mile mark and at the pre-race meeting they talked about an Auction House at around mile 22. Otherwise I just kept riding.

I finally saw a sign that indicated that we were headed towards the state park. I was glad as I was getting tired of biking. When I entered the park, I was told that I was the first female. That was a scary thing to know. So I started the run knowing that there were females out there trying to catch me.

The run is on these really great trails in the park. It would have been nice to know them before hand but each mile was marked. I felt a little tight and not super fast but just kept pushing. There were times I felt great and times I felt like I was barely moving. At one point there is a short out and back, on that part I got to see my competition and they looked really strong. I saw Marie and knew she was working to catch me. So I just kept trying to push and waiting for her to come up behind me.

I finally hit mile 4 of 5 and was so thankful. Karen and I had noticed a really cool barn that had a cones going through it while checking out the swim. We were so excited that we were going to run through the barn. So at mile 4, I was expecting to run through the barn and then to the finish. Well, we never got to the barn (it was for the kids tri) so when me and a guy I was running with came out of the woods, I asked him if this was the finish and he said he hoped so. Then I saw those end mats and was so happy to be "home". I think I even said that out loud... thank goodness we are home.

Then a few people came up to me and asked me if I was the first female. The picture guy took my picture and wanted to know my time. I do not wear a watch and really did not know if I was first so I just answered that was what I was told. I saw Marie and Luis finish soon after me. Then waited for Karen (she started in a different wave). I did finally see the results and found out I was the first female with a time of 2:29.29. I also ended up being the fastest female biker that day.

In reflection, the event was well organized, it was a beautiful, warm day and I had great teammates and triathletes to race with. I reached my goal of swimming hard, biking hard and trust me I was just trying to hold on during the run. I am amazed by my season and realize that without the support of all those people that have trained with me, listened to me, emailed me, coached me, watched my children, inspired me, no matter my success it would not have been as great. Thanks.

No comments: